This Disappears When Logged In

Sick? Jungle Python-please advise

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by binkycom, Jan 2, 2015.

1. binkycom

binkycom Member

hi all
    I have a juvenile jungle Python, about 3-4 foot

He is acting fine, everything normal, recently ate and I saw him drinking water the other day also.

However for the last week (since before his recent feed) he has been losing his skin. Small little pieces In the shape of his scales. Individual pieces. After holding him our hands and clothes might have as many as 20 little pieces of skin, some coloured some clear.
    They appear to be coming from underneath his scales.

Other than that he is fine, behaving normally and like I said he has eaten normally since we have noticed this.

He has shed twice since we got him, and both times have been fairly bad, with no large sections bigger than my thumb, just a big mess of skin everywhere in the enclosure.

His eyes are normal, but he probably is due for a shed, so could that be related? His colour has faded over the last week as well.

Here is a photo of my hand after holding him. You can see both the dark bits of skin and the clearer ones on my palms.

Please advise
    Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like remnants from the bad sheds. Your humidity may be off.
    What are the conditions in the enclosure?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I agree. If I had to guess, I would assume your humidity in the enclosure is a bit on the low side.

Sources vary in exactly how much humidity a JCP needs. Some say 40-60% is okay. Others say nothing below 75%.

I keep mine around 60% most of the time, and bump it up at shedding time.

If you don't have one, you should purchase a hygrometer. The best ones also come with a thermometer, and are available at the garden center of most stores for around $15. This will help you monitor the humidity and temperatures in your cage.

The fading color is a sure sign that he is going into shed soon.

If you could tell us how you have him set up, we can help you fix any problems he may be having.

What is the size of his cage? give dimensions: length, width, height.

What is the cage made of?

What is it furnished with - what kind of substrate, decoration, etc.

What are your high and low temperatures and humidity readings in the cage?

How are those temps and humidity being measured?

What methods are you using to provide heat and humidity?

All of these details can help us figure out what your snake might be missing.