This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Foster - Need Input

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by TitoAndKatt, Dec 4, 2012.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hello guys! Long time no see! I promise I'll post some updates soon, it has been a crazy year for me. Anyways, as some of you know I began fostering snakes for a local reptile rescue a while back. My foster Zola went to live in her new forever home in Fairbanks; she was adopted by a friend and is doing great. She is very well loved and spoiled rotten. :)

I am about to take on my second foster snake, a 6 foot common boa who is 20 years old. The problem is he has been sick. He was treated with antibiotic injections by the vet, but the rescue owner said that he still has a bit of a rattle. What I want to know, is HOW contagious are URIs? I can put him in a different room, and will obviously if he is still contagious. However, room in my bedroom is tight so I'd like to be able to at least eventually move him into the pet room. Also, if I do put him in my room, he will be across the hall from Shiiva's room. What precautions should I be taking, how far can the airborne particles travel, can it be carried on my clothes (I'd think so?), etc etc.... I am going to contact the vet who has been treating the snake. I know him from working at the clinic for a while. I wanted to see what you guys had to say too though. Thanks in advance for the input! :)

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

As far as I know if the other animals have the proper temps the uri isn't highly contagious and you shouldn't have to worry over much about others getting sick. Though you should still observe washing before and after handling as well as changing clothes if he hacks stuff onto you. And his temps should be kept slightly higher than normal.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I've always been told to always keep them seperate. I also foster for my local rescue, and was told to have seperate everything, feeding tongs, dishes, etc for sick animals never cross contaminate. If the snakes still sick after being treated, makes me think something else is wrong. I'm keeping sick and quarantines animals on entirely seperate floors of my house, different feed days, clean days everything. I love what I do, but will never risk my animals.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well I left a message for the vet to call me, so I'm waiting to hear back. Nothing yet, but hopefully he will call tonight. It's only 5:30 and they are open until 6 or 7.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Agreed with keeping it seperate from your own animals. Have the temps in the enclosure been up higher then normal with it being sick? With meds and higher temps it should work unless that's not the only issue going on with him, maybe just needs another round of meds. Let us know what the Vet says, good luck!

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well the vet pretty much confirmed what I thought. We'll have to keep them in separate rooms. Though there is a chance that it could be caused by damage to the lungs/nostrils etc that is causing the rattling. I think I may move Shiiva to my room and put the foster in the critter room but we'll see how things work out. I have a few days to figure it out and decide what I want to do. I definitely don't want to risk Shiiva's health over a foster.