This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by KDK241, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The coloration of the lower jaw looks like it may have rotting issues as well. As long as the butter worms arent thicker then the space between his eyes he will be able to eat them as well. Do not force the teeth bones out as they could still be connected to him with tissue, tendons, or bone and that can hurt him. If all else fails take him in to have the vet look him over and remove it if needed.
    He may have swallowed it if he lost it when eating you could get an xray to confirm. For now I would just thuroughly examine his cage and feces to see if you can find the piece.

2. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Oh I have no intentions of forcing the remaining bone out and I'm bringing him back to the vet next week. I haven't seen the missing piece but I cleaned his cage before I realized it had fallen out so I'm guessing he spit it out and it was in there. He's still pooping normal so I'm not too worried about it.

One thing that he has started doing is going into his water dish and splashing around, sticking his head under the water and scratching at it with his back legs....is this normal or is he a bit odd? :p I can't see anything wrong with his eyes or anything on his face and the only time he scratches at his face is when he's in the water dish. He will splash around for a good 5-10 minutes until there isn't any more water to splash out, lol. He pretty much looks like a bird taking a bath.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is he getting ready to shed? Tai will do this when his head is shedding though he doesnt restrict his scratching to just his bath.

4. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking at first but he hasn't shown any signs of getting ready to shed.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Maybe its because his teeth are bothering him.

6. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Well we went back to the vet today because that second part in his mouth was still stuck and just wouldn't come off. (of course it came off on its own this morning) The vet was impressed by the progress he's made and said his mouth looks a lot better. It wasn't actually his jaw bones that rotted, just his gums and teeth and that his upper teeth might even grow back. He also suggested I try some small crickets and see if he can eat them since Ziggy is starting to refuse earthworms. I still haven't been able to get phoenix worms and if I try and feed him carnivore care he struggles so much that he ends up spitting most of it up. He did put him on antibiotics for another 3 weeks and said to continue the calcium and cleaning his mouth and hopefully get the last of the mouth rot cleared up. He's only gained 4 grams in the past month so food is the major issue right now. He's also starting to shed so I'm nervous about the eye caps since that was such a problem.

Other than that Ziggy is full of attitude...but still likes me for the moment :)

7. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

For the pheonix worms, use a pin and put a hole in them to help them be digested. This is a good idea even for healthy dragons, since they often gulp them down.

I would try some Bene-Bac after all of those anitbiotics. When my dragon stopped eating, I mixed Repta+Boost powder with Bene-Bac Bird and Reptile gel and thinned it with a little Pedialyte. After a few days of giving him that, he got his appetite back and started eating again.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

have you tried www.floridaherp.com for the phoenixworms? its where I order mine from and they have great prices.

9. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

It's a lot cheaper to get them directly from pheonixworm.com (the other sites are resellers). I ordered a 1000 yesterday for $38.95 vs $69.95.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

the problem I have with pheonixworm.com is that they wont ship them when its over 85F or under 35F. And its usually way over 85 here in yuma so I am really only able to order from them maybe 2 months out of the year if that.

11. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I've been giving him Bene-Bac :) That's the problem I'm having with phoenix worms, its -0 here so I haven't been able to find a place that will ship. I did buy 6 small crickets last night and they lasted about 30 seconds. He didn't seem to have too much trouble eating them but I'm going to wait and make sure they digest ok before giving him any more.

12. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Good deal on the appetite! Pheonixworm.com will ship them to you. You can either have them held at the post office or sent to a work address, so someone will be able to receive them. If the post office fails to hold them, they don't take responsibility, so I think I'd go with the work address option.

13. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Oh he has an appetite! I ran and got some more crickets after he went potty so I knew he was ok with them and the 20 I put in there were gone about 2 minutes later. I'm feeding fewer more often instead of all at once just to be safe. He's happy as can be now, lol. It just takes a lot of them since they are smalls. I'm going to order some through a smaller pet store so I can get larger quantities.

I'll probably have to have the worms held at the post office. I'm home all day so that's not a problem but the mail doesn't come until around 4-5 pm so that would be a long day in a cold truck.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes that would be a while in a truck. I just have packages delivered to my work if I know they are discreetly shipped (I work at optometrist office so live bugs showing up arent the best options) otherwise I have to have them held at the post office as well.
    Put a few carrots throughout his enclosure just incase any crickets escape.

15. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

A very long overdue update! Ziggy turned out to be a she and 4 years later she is doing awesome. She is smaller than a normal dragon (that's a 4" PVC pipe for comparison) and her upper teeth never grew back but she eats crickets, dubias and anything else with no problems. She also has some MBD so her back legs still drag a little but it never got any worse. She always looks skinny and wrinkly but at her vet appointment last week he said he thinks that's just how she is because she eats like a horse lol.

She is my baby and is very spoiled. I owe a huge thank you to everyone who helped me out. When I look back at the pictures I can't belive how sick she was and I don't know what I would've done without the people on here.

Attached Files:

16. Jay Hundley

Jay Hundley New Member

Shes beautiful, even with no teeth.:)

Glad she found somebody that cared enough to take the time... one question though...

Does she still like you?:D