This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by KDK241, Nov 4, 2013.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

So Ziggy is doing ok still. He has started opening his eyes more and when they are open he's super active but he still lays around and sleeps a lot also. His mouth was getting yellow and gross again so the vet gave me some new stuff he had never tried before and so far its working pretty well. I can see the rotten areas actually getting smaller every day. He also told me I was feeding him way to little and said I should feed him 3-4 mls. a day. I started feeding him 3 mils. a day, which he still hates and fights me on, but the thing is he doesn't poop every day. Its been every other day and I'm wondering how much can I feed him without him pooping before its too much?

His eye is also a little better. The eye itself is fine but his eye lids are inflamed and puffy, its getting better every day though. I'm going to pick up some worms for him tomorrow to see if he eats on his own, which I'm sure he will as long as he has his eyes open, lol.

2. KitteeKae

KitteeKae Member

What a great name... Ziggy is so very lucky to have found someone so kind and caring to help him. I'm really glad to know he is doing better.

KitteeKae >^..^<
    "a smile should be contagious..."

3. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Poor guy was "no name" for awhile and one night I was laying in bed and it just popped in my head, lol.

I have no idea why it double posted my last post...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When we updated the site, that glitch came with it!
    Rich is working on it.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Pooping every other day is fine-Tai usually does this and he pigs out every day. If he was to not go potty for 2-3 days even though you feed everyday then you should worry about impaction but as it stands right now he is fine.
    Right now while he is sick try to stick to soft bodied worms like earthworms, silkworms, hornworms, or phoenix worms.
    I dont know how true it is but I think that while sick they chouldnt be given bugs with an exoskeleton just because the risk of impaction my be higher if they arent digesting properly-again this may be all in my head but its a rule I have tried to live by especially after Fei died from a cricket when she was recovering from all her issues.

6. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. I'm just so worried and paranoid about every little thing, lol. I'm going to pick up some earthworms today. When his eyes are open and I mist his cage he chases the drops of water so I'm sure he'll be happy to have something to eat on his own.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

if the worms are too long and he seems to have trouble eating them I either double up the worms (fold them in half so they are smaller) or chop them into a smaller pieces.
    Otherwise this can happen: 345E9566-E461-4FC0-90FF-2C5DBBDC72C3-598-0000007C7CF19F3B_zpsdd8b41af.jpg they try and try to eat the worm but the worm just stretches longer and longer D761088E-DDA5-40D3-9693-1654F5FC3E77-598-0000007C2B018647_zps8a5f789a.jpg and then the cwd decides to take a break and wonders around with his food hanging out of his mouth until he decides he needs a snack.

8. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Lol, Zen has his own unique technique for eating large earthworms. He grabs one end shakes it violently so it slaps around flinging worm slime everywhere, then when it goes limp and dazed, he points his head up and gulps it down kinda like a bird. Its pretty gross.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah Tai is horrible about eating his worms but he loves them.

10. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I've had that problem with my frogs and worms so I'm used to chopping them up :) Quick little update though...I had removed Ziggy's water dish because he never used it and with him stumbling around blind he just ended up running into it and I was worried he would hurt himself. I got a shallower dish that was a little smaller today and put it in there and he immediately sat it in and drank and drank and drank for the next 3 hours. He also opened his eyes and has kept them open for the past 5 hours, which is the longest ever. I feel bad though because he was sooo thirsty :(

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yeah well he is also probably just to the point where he can drink on his own so dont feel too bad. Atleast he is feeling much better.
    And keep in mind that cleanliness and proper temps/humidity are going to be essential even after he recovers completely as he will be more vulnerable to infections and health issues from now on.

12. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Ugh..I'm getting frustrated. Ziggy has been doing GREAT! Super active, keeps his eyes open all the time now and they look great, drinks water and soaks in his dish on his own. He eats worms on his own and things seemed to be getting better. Then last night I was cleaning out his mouth to put the stuff the vet gave me on it and it looks like half of his upper jaw is going to fall out. :( Basically the entire row of teeth on his upper left jaw are loose (not one at a time, in one big piece) and I'm assuming that means the bone is basically rotting away. His mouth was looking so nice too and now I'm not sure what to do.

13. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

So apparently what I thought was his bone falling off must have fallen off because his mouth looks a lot better on that side only he has no teeth over there. Now the exact same thing is happening on the other side of his mouth. Is it possible that its just one big plaque of mouth rot and its falling off all at once? The other side of his mouth it is so loose I can move it with a q-tip and honestly could probably get it out but I'm scared.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It could be plaque but it's hard to say without seeing it. What medicines is he on again?

15. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

He is on Sulfa until Wed. and then just the liquid calcium. He's still active and alert and weighs 86g now...he was 67 last week. I will try and get a picture of his mouth, its just hard to hold it open with one hand :)

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yeah and then to get a clear pic is even more difficult if you can manage to get his mouth open.

17. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Well I managed to get some pictures of his mouth. I also called the vet but he is out until next week.

His mouth on the right side of the picture looked like the left side yesterday. All that yellow along with his teeth is what is loose and moves when I touch it.
    ZiggyMouth_zpsb7a13743.jpg

Here you can see how its loose
    ZiggyMouth2_zpse5db787b.jpg

And just a couple of pictures of him looking so much better than before :)
    Ziggy2_zps623fb833.jpg

Ziggy_zpsb777b761.jpg

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well it is his teeth falling out. The infection may have gone into the jaw bone and rotted it away. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it and with the state that bone is in it would be best for it to come out. How does his bottom jaw look?

With the state of his upper jaw I think all crunchy bugs need to be taken out of his diet permenantly and instead make his main staples phoenix worms, butterworms, small silk worms, small hornworms, and small earthworms. He will need bugs that he doesnt have to chew at all so small, squishy, bite size bugs would be best.

19. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Poor little thing. It makes me so sad to see what he's going through. He's lucky that you found him, so he can get proper care.

20. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

That's what I was worried about, poor guy :( I tried to get it out last night but it wasn't quite ready and I didn't want to hurt him. I'm concerned that he might swallow it if it falls out. I have no idea what happened to the other side but I didn't know it had fallen out when I cleaned his cage so I didn't look for it. He gobbles up the earth worms but I had to order some phoenix worms since the ones at the pet store are flies already. I wasn't sure about butter worms since they are so plump, do you think he could eat them ok? Earth worms, butter worms and wax worms are all the store carries. (I know wax worms are treats only)

Here is a picture of his lower jaw. Its gotten a little bit better but not much. That red spot is where a plaque came out.

ZIggyMouth4_zps5ae7ef0c.jpg

On the positive side of things he's spunky, active, and seems pretty happy. He is also friendly (at the moment, lol) and doesn't mind me picking him up so I guess he doesn't hate me too much for all this. I already have a 55 gallon ready for him and have the plans to build him a permanent cage this spring.