This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by KDK241, Nov 4, 2013.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Is there any trick to get him to swallow a bit faster? lol. No matter what I give him he sits with it in his mouth for 2-3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes, before he will swallow it and by that time I can't tell exactly how much of the medication he's actually swallowed.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you are giving him meds you need to use a pipette so it can be shoved into the back of his mouth and he is forced to take it all. It is very important that he get the proper dosage of meds. Thank fully with the jaw slightly deformed it should be easy enough to slip the tip in and force the medicine into his mouth.

Keep in mind to always be gentle and not actually shove the medicine down...dont want to damage him.

3. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Is there a certain side of the back of his mouth that I should aim for? I know with birds its the left side when you are facing them so they don't aspirate any of the medication. I have been putting it on the middle of his tongue instead of the tip but was scared to go back too far. I know he's been getting all the Sulfa because its a little thicker but the liquid calcium is like water and some tends to drip out. As it is I have to sit and wait until he thinks I left the room to catch him swallowing his food so I can give him more. He still doesn't close his mouth all the way so that makes it a little easier.

Thank you for all the help! I realized I forgot to say that.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No on reptiles the air tube sits in front of the food tube so the further back you go the better it is but that being said you dont want to poke the back of his mouth. As long as he is getting the complete doses of the Sulfa then you dont have to worry about forcing it down his throat. As for the calcium-you could add it to the carnivore care if you want it thicker.

5. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Ok, that's good to know. I just took him out and swabbed his mouth again. I've been doing it after every feeding to help it stay cleaner but it has some icky looking parts already :( I put the bene bac further back in his mouth and rubbed his throat until he swallowed it and did the same with the carnivore care. I'm not sure much carnivore care I should be aiming for in a day though. So far today he's had 0.5 ml.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

as much as he will eat. Gradually as he starts feeling better he will eat more of it but until then just give him a couple drops or as much as he can take everytime you go by his cage.

7. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

He won't eat any of it willingly. The only way I could get him to eat any was by putting in on the tip of his tongue just enough so he had to swallow it when he licked eventually but he stopped licking it at all. Then I started putting it in the back of his mouth so he has no choice. I just don't know how much I should be giving him. I don't want to force him to eat too much and the dosage chart for the carnivore care is no help at all. He ate another 1 ml today and definitely has a bit more attitude. He even twitches his tail when I put him in his bath now like he's trying to swim.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The last time I had to force fed a baby I did half a ml each feeding and it was for a baby much smaller than your guy so I think you are giving a good amount.

9. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Well he ate about 1.5 ml today and even though I had to still put it in his mouth he swallowed right away instead of waiting 2-3 minutes. He hasn't went to the bathroom since Tuesday though :( I always put him under the basking light after feeding him and he will go there on his own too. I've checked my temps over and over and even went and got a new thermometer just to be sure mine was working right and it was.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well if he is digesting and using most of the nutrients in the critical care he won't have as much waste so it will take longer to build up and have him go potty. Also he isn't yet eating much for his size so not much need to go potty yet.

11. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I actually went and checked on him shortly after that post and he had gone potty. Not much but at least it was something. He is getting less wrinkly and today he actually licked some food off of his nose, ate over .5 ml in one feeding, and drank a tiny bit of water on his own.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thats great! So he is showing signs of improvement which is awesome just realize the better he feels the harder it will be to medicate and feed him. Hopefully he gets to the attitude stage soon!

13. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Oh, he's already starting to get some attitude. It was a fight to get his calcium and food into him tonight after his bath. He was hissing and snapping way more than he did even when the vet cleaned his mouth. He is definitely doing better, small improvements but I'll take it. Now I can't wait until he opens his eyes, although that will make it even harder when he can see me coming, lol. Oh, I decided to name him Ziggy.

Ya know, I never really wanted a water dragon, lol. I don't have anything against them but they never really interested me but I can say he's not going anywhere. I haven't even slept through the night one time since I got him because I keep waking up thinking his heat went out or something bad happened.

What is their poop supposed to smell like? When he pooped yesterday it didn't smell horrible like beardie poop but there was an odor to it. I just don't know if that's normal, because of the carnivore care or if I should see about getting a fecal done.

14. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Poor guy!

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No their feces smells a bit but it's no where near beardie smell!
    I think you should get a fecal done just because all reptiles have a bit of parasites and that's ok but under times of stress or illness the parasites may get out of control and can cause issues. If nothing else it's piece of mind.

16. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I was gonna call them tomorrow and see about getting it done. He has to be feeling better because he's being SUCH a pain to medicated and feed now! He went to the bathroom again last night too :)

17. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

20131111_124233_zps8e6487da.jpg

He opened his eyes!!! I put him in his bath and suddenly saw this eye looking at me, lol. Unfortunately there is definitely something wrong with his other eye. :( It looked like his 3rd eyelid was stuck over it and it was really gray and watery looking. He immediately closed both eyes right after I took that pic so I couldn't get a pic of the other eye. I called the vet and am waiting to hear back because I really don't have the money to bring him in again right now.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Unfortunately without a pic I am unable to guess at what could be wrong. I guess keep a camera handy everytime you bathe him and he may open it again.

19. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Ugh poor Ziggy just can't catch a break :( He hadn't opened his eyes again since the other day and his one eye is still a little swollen. The vet didn't want to prescribe anything since there hasn't been any puss or sign of infection and told me to just keep gently swabbing it and flushing it like I have been every day.

I went and checked on him a couple hours ago and saw his good eye was open so I grabbed the camera to try and get a pic of his bad eye and this is what I saw:

ziggyeye2_zpsfcf7deb0.jpg

ziggyeye3_zps2035327a.jpg

I gently touched it with a damp q-tip and this big chunk of what I'm guessing is a lot of stuck shed came out of his eye. It's about 1/8" thick and hard.

ziggyeye4_zps4ed00a09.jpg

Unfortunately there is definitely something wrong with that eye still. It looks like his pupil is looking down and a bit cockeyed, a little watery and I don't think he can really see out of it. He has been keeping his eyes open for the most part ever since...unless I try to get a picture of course.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The pressure from the shed could have caused the eye to fall out of alignment a bit. Over time the muscles should restrengthen and the eye go back to the correct position.