This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by KDK241, Nov 4, 2013.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I was given a sick Chinese water dragon today and can't get a vet appointment until Friday. He's been sitting like in the pics since I brought him home a few hours ago. I haven't seen his eyes open at all. No crusty eyes or nose, not gasping for breath and breathing is quiet. The person I got him from has had him for 6 months, said he is still eating (crickets and mealworms) but has been losing weight. She said he has times when he is lethargic and doesn't do much and then will have times when he is really active. I'm just wondering what I can do for him until I can get him to the vet. He is currently in a 20 gal. long (hospital tank) with the humidity at 80% and the temps are 85 on the warm side and 80 on the cool with basking at 90-95. He's about 4" long from snout to vent.

20131104_163451_zpsce53a93c.jpg

20131104_163429_zps00d9686d.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looks like mouthrot or some other infection. Notice how the mouth is slightly swollen-especially the lips on either side of the nose and how its slightly deformed? plus looks like his eyes maybe swollen as well.

How are you measuring the temps and humidity? Digital or analogue? Can you put up a shot of the entire enclosure? Have you seen him eat or drink? Does he open his eyes usually?

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Until you can get your dragon into the vet, I would also increase your temps to the high end of their gradient (e.g. 85F on hot side) both day and night. Higher temps help stimulate the immune system to fight off infections and can sometimes prevent problems from becoming worse.

4. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I use a digital thermometer to measure the temps. I'm planning on keeping the temps up all night and I will raise them a little more. I'm not sure why his eyes look swollen in the picture, they don't look like that in person so I think its the camera. He moved from under the light to the cooler side and then was back under the light when I wasn't in the room so I'm not sure if he actually opened his eyes or just kind of stumbled around. Now he's laying with his head down but he's still breathing ok :(

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He is definitely going to need a vet to prescribe antibiotics and such but you should also look into ordering some critical care and some probiotics like acidophiliz or something similar. He is going to need both of these items to help him recover. Then go to Walmart or some other store and look for pedialyte (any flavor works but I usually stick with the unflavored kind) and then look in the first aide section for pipettes or very small syringes (about as thick as a standard wooden pencil) or some sort of dropper this way you can just mix the food into a slushy and use the apparatus to put drops of it on his nose for him to lick off.
    Side note try to get your dr to give you liquid medicines as it really isn't fun to shove pills down a CWDs throat.

For now since you have a few days before the vet try to get the carnivore care and pedialyte to gently give him while you wait for antibiotics and such. Keep in mind that he is tiny and sick so he will be stressed and may only do a few drops at a time so any time you go by his cage try to give him some.

6. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I did pick up some pedialyte at Walmart tonight since I figured it couldn't hurt and will get some carnivore care tomorrow. He still hasn't opened his eyes but he was moving around when I misted his cage. I'm just keeping him quiet and trying not to go in the room and check on him every 5 minutes.

7. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Well he had a very active spurt around 3am and was all over the cage, opening his mouth wide and closing it again and kind of sticking his tongue out a bit. He still hasn't opened his eyes though. I gave him a soak in a 50/50 water and pedialyte solution and tried to get some carnivore care and pedialyte in him. Since he holds his mouth open anyway I just put a drop on the tip of his tongue and he did swallow a couple drops. I also took the coco husk out of his tank and have him on paper towels. The coco husk was just stuck to him everywhere, even his eyes. I tried to gently wipe it off of his eyes and it kind of felt like they might be a little crusty but I don't know..I've never felt a lizard's eyes before so I don't really have a comparison, lol. Friday can't get here soon enough :/

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What your doing is good. Does he have a large enough water dish to soak in if he needed to?

9. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

He has a dish he can soak in with only about an inch of water just in case. He hasn't used it at all and that's why I gave him the bath. I figure the last thing he needs is to be dehydrated on top of everything else. I've given him a couple more drops of the food mix right on his tongue. He doesn't swallow it right away but when I check on him later it's gone. He's much more active after the bath and even basked for a little while and climbed on the branch that is in there for a minute. Of course it was all with his eyes closed. :(

I just went and checked on him and he went to the bathroom. I have no idea what water dragon poop is supposed to look like so I'm not sure if its normal or not. It kind of looks like a blob of jelly the same color as the carnivore care with urates. At least I know something has to be getting in him.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Some of the more advanced cases of stomatitis will have the infection occuring in the eyes as well and he will keep them closed to reduce the risk of injuring them further. If you are comfortable with it you can gently wrap him in a towel so his legs dont get in your way and then take a q-tip, dip it in warm water, and gently roll it along the eyes in order to force the eyelids to open and drain some of the puss that may have accumilated out. you will want to roll the q-tip in towards his eye so it will snag on his bottom lid and push it down-does this make sense?

11. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Yes that made sense. I was going to try after his bath but I wasn't exactly sure what to do. I will give it a try and see what his eyes look like. I just feel so bad for him.

12. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

So his one eye I had no problem moving the eyelid and didn't see any puss or anything come out of it. The other eye is crusted shut :( I tried to gently use the wet q-tip to get some of the crust off but I couldn't and I was scared to try too hard.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well you can keep trying and see if you can get it but if not the vet can.

14. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Well we went to the vet today instead of waiting until Friday. It was a different vet that I used for my tortoise years and years ago but I'm glad I went there because he was awesome. Poor little guy has severe mouth rot on both his upper and lower jaws, is very dehydrated and possibly has some minor MBD. He wasn't really sure if its that or if its just because he's so weak. He cleaned out his mouth and checked his eyes and there is nothing wrong with them, he thinks he keeps them closed because they are so sunken in from him being dehydrated. He honestly said its a bit of a long shot to save him but he did think its worth a try. He put him on antibiotics and some liquid calcium and said to keep doing the carnivore care and baths. He also said to put some aloe vera gel on his gums. Poor little dragon, who I have started calling lil dude, only weighs 69g but he's going to have a fighting chance if nothing else.

15. KitteeKae

KitteeKae Member

Hi... I'm new to Herp Center and know virtually nothing about water dragons. But if positive thoughts can help, I'm sending them your way and hoping little dude will pull though. I'm so glad you got him to a good vet!
    KitteeKae >^..^<
    "a smile should be contagious..."

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He very likely had mbd. When they are sick to such a degree they don't eat muchic at all which means less calcium intake and thus leads to mbd. He can be saved but it will take much time, effort, and very careful monitoring.
    So can you go over the cage temps (basking and cool side) as well as the cage humidity? And how are you monitoring them? Did you end up putting him on paper towels?

17. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Yes, I put him on paper towels. The temp on the cool side is at 80* and the warm side is 85* on the floor and basking ranges from 90-100. He goes back and forth between basking and the cool side. I've checked the temp on pretty much every inch of the cage at this point and everything is measured with a digital thermometer. The humidity stays between 60-75% and I mist his cage every few hours.

He ate about 1 ml. of the carnivore care today, which is much better than the few drops he had yesterday. He has also started licking his nose when I drip water on it but only a couple of drops. I've been swabbing his mouth after I feed him before putting on the aloe gel. Pretty much his entire upper and lower gums are nothing but abscesses all the way around. :( He's on Sulpha, liquid calcium and the carnivore care. I'm going to pick up some Bene-Bac tomorrow and I made sure to get 100% aloe vera gel that can be taken internally and is all organic so I know it won't hurt him.

Here are some pictures I took during his bath tonight.

20131106_220641_zps39a8218b.jpg

20131106_222248_zps8f91fa40.jpg

20131106_222306_zps422383dd.jpg

Poor little guy (or girl). It makes me so sad.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With the development of the crest and spikes I would say you have a male. With proper care (which it sounds like he isgetting. Good job) they can and will recover from this BUT his immune system will be slightly compromised so it will be easier for him to get sick a gain so proper husbandry will be very important in the future. For now keep on doing what your doing and maybe mix the carnivore care with pedialyte so he gets the electorlytes he needs as well as the nutrients.

Have you gotten any probiotics for him?

19. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Yeahs I'm still using the pedialyte with the carnivore care and I've also been putting some in his bath. I'm going to go get some Bene-bac probiotics for him today. With trying to remember everything yesterday that's the one thing I forgot.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

if you look on beardeddragon.co they have quite a bit of useful medications, supplements, syringes, etc. and the f10 disenfectant would be a wonderful tool to make sure his cage is always sterile.