This Disappears When Logged In

Shower Build

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by RomanLA, Mar 24, 2013.

1. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I converted a walk-in tile shower into an enclosure. It’s approximately 5ft x 3ft x 7ft high. Here’s a quick run down of the equipment I’m using...

- 36 Inch T5 High Output Quad Fixture with Blue LEDs
    - 2x Arcadia D3+ 12% UVB Bulbs
    - 2x 6.5k Grow Bulbs
    - Fluker’s 8.5 Inch Dimmable Clamp Lamp
    - Zoo Med 150W Ceramic Heater
    - Fluker's 5.5 Inch Dimmable Clamp Lamp
    - Zoo Med 75W ReptiHalogen
    - Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Thermostat
    - Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
    - Zilla Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
    - 20 Gallon Cement Mixing Tub
    - AquaClear 50 Powerhead
    - AquaClear Quick Filter
    - Aqueon Pro Submersible 100W Heater
    - Kordon Oasis Turtle Ramp
    - Cascade Deep Green Outdoor Carpet
    - Rubbermaid 24 Inch shelves
    - A&E Cage Co 80 Inch Dragonwood Perches
    - Hobby Lobby Silk Plant and Vines

Here's some pictures of the build as it progressed...

It started with a corrugated plastic sliding door.
    IMG_1878.JPG

I removed the plastic and made a new sliding plexiglass door using the existing hardware.
    IMG_1755.JPG

I drilled into the tile to mount aluminum tubing for the lights and braces for the shelves.
    IMG_1860.JPG

Here's a look at the T5 HO light fixture and halogen light.
    IMG_1876.JPG

I painted and installed additional pieces of plexiglass with electrical grommets up top.
    IMG_1862.JPG

My wife painted the bathroom tropical green and decorated it with a jungle theme.
    IMG_1867.JPG

I ended up having a surge protector with timers on either side of the enclosure.
    IMG_1908.JPG

I screened the drain and made a false floor with ceramic tiles on closed cell foam.
    IMG_1907.JPG

I placed a cement mixing tub on the tiles and cut outdoor carpet for the floor and shelves.
    IMG_1909.JPG

Here's a look at the finished cold side.
    IMG_1975.JPG

Here's a look at it from straight on.
    IMG_1977.JPG

Here's a look at the finished hot side.
    IMG_1976.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Everyone jokes about turning a shower into a CWD cage but I didn't think Anyone would...
    It looks very nice.

3. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Thanks! I saw a shower on sale at Lowe's and talked to my wife about making it into an enclosure. She decided she'd rather give up a bathroom than have a shower in her sunroom! lol She painted the bathroom and for my birthday, she got me black bathroom accessories, a framed picture of Mushu, and a chalkboard to keep track of when I give him his supplements and stuff. :)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Very nice! But you should work on getting mushu acquainted with a flushing toilet as that sound could stress him out.

5. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

It doesn't bother him at all. I have two dogs, three kids, and four cats. I don't think there's much that can phase him. lol

6. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

This has to be the coolest thing. So jelous. Wish I could do this. Going to vs one happy lizard.

7. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

That is SO awesome! He looks like he's pretty happy in there! :D

8. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

That-is-AWESOME! I had to show my husband this!

9. OEW

OEW Elite Member

That's great! Guests must be pretty confused when they walk into that bathroom LOL

Although I do think he needs more branches! :)

Wish I could do something like this :p

10. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Thanks...he loves it! I'm planning on getting a couple more 80 inch branches. One of current ones doesn't have bark and even with the vines, it makes for a difficult climb. I'd like to replace it and cut it to make some shorter branches. He honestly spends most of his time on the ropes though. He's growing fast, so I'm going to pick up some more rope soon to make the existing ones thicker and possibly add some more.

We haven't had a guest use the bathroom yet, but I'm looking forward to the holidays! lol

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I'm going to have to show this to my kids later! I always joke about getting a pet lobster(from the supermarket) and putting it in the bath tub :)

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

All of the images are now showing up as encircled minus signs.

Noname.jpg

13. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I had accidentally set the photo folder to private. I'll make a new thread in the enclosure sections and upload the photos to the site.

14. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

Does that idea scare the kids? My dad would joke about putting a giant snake in our pool....he went to home depot and got the widest hose he could and threw it in there........ after we watched Anaconda for the first time. Then we went for a summer night swim....didn't know I could jump out of water that fast.....

15. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Wow. That's amazing. Bet your "little" lizard loves it!

16. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Your dad has a sense of humor!

Where did you get the long sticks? I think I saw somewhere you can order those but I wondered if you found them in your yard or if they specific reptile logs lol. I have some cool driftwood I can use. My husband found it at his grandma's house when he was cleaning it out :). Probably from FL about 20plus years ago lol. But it is a neat shape. And I have a smaller piece that was from my grandpa's. might be useful.

17. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

They're 80 inch long 2-1/2 inch diameter dragonwood perches. They're from A&E Cage Co, but you have to find a distributor, so they've been hard to come by lately. I'm looking for some more to cut into shorter pieces. There are some companies that have shorter pieces available, but the shorter ones are 1-1/2 to 2 inch diameter. Anyway, I've got a company trying to get them on their web site and I'll post a link when they get them.

18. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Oh ok. Thanks. I have some of that wood that starts with and M. Morabi? Monabi? I can't think of what it is called. And then I have a piece of that wood that is not plastic but not wood...maybe it is some kind of resin. I got it at the pet store. I don't know if a lizard would slip on it though

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It's called mopani wood. And the petstore is probably one of those fish tank decorations and i used one in my beardie cage and yes they slip on it. Also they have holes that allow bugs and water to get inside. Not the best choice for a humid insectivores cage

20. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yes mopani wood. Thanks.

Yeah it is a fish decoration I think, but it doesn't sink. It looks like a tree branch but is definitely slick. I don't know if I will try wrapping vines on it or not. I got it for the turtle but it didn't work in water. I don't know what I will do with it.