This Disappears When Logged In

Should Salamanders Eat More then Crickets??? Back into the Wild?

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by LunaBug, Apr 17, 2012.

1. LunaBug

LunaBug Member

So... My Tiger Salamander will only eat Crickets. He would eat worms but this time of year I can only by them in bate shops... And they are way to big, sense he is still reather small.
    He does not like meal worms... And I can't get anything else.
    It is frustrating and I don't want him to get sick.

Also, I have found out that it is illegal to have a Tiger Salamander in Montana... And... I found out that the people I got him from picked him out of the wild. So he is not captive breed.
    Would he be ok if I let him go into the right habitat?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. In most places it is not only a bad idea to release captive animals into the wild, it is illegal!
    There is no telling what type of parasites or disease that it could have picked up in captivity and putting it into the wild maybe introducing a pathogen into the wild population. One that they have never before been exposed to and have no immunities to.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Are you gut loading the crickets? Powdering? If not, you need to be doing so.

4. LunaBug

LunaBug Member

I am feeding gut loaded crickets to him.

Don't let him go, got it.

I am going to try to see if the Zoo will take him though. They don't have any Salamanders, so they might be interested.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also contact any local nature centers such as in parks.

6. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Since you said it is illegal to keep them where you are, make sure that any place you contact about rehoming him knows that you are doing so BECAUSE you learned it is not legal. I doubt a zoo or reserve would raise a stink over this but it's better to avoid any potential hostilities than to try and deal with them later.

7. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

As far as feeding him worms - I'm assuming you're talking about night crawlers - snip them in half. After a day or two, snip them again. Then I feed that size worms to my tiger salamander. He's less than a year old, so he's rather small. He can eat a half night crawler easily, but I still worry about choking on them. The worms end up living just fine by cutting them like that - just give them time to heal up before doing it again. My salamander likes small superworms and dubia roaches as well. He's a pig though. You should only feed them once or twice a week. They will eat anytime you let them, but they get fat in captivity because people overfeed. Mine sits up like a seal in the water dish and wags his tail like a dog whenever he sees me.