This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Rescue Him?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Ripkabird98, Aug 12, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Good for you! Looking forward to photos of the little sweetie :)

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Great! Be sure to report back and keep us updated :) Also, just in case you don't have a UVB source, check out Arcadia's t5 HO 12% UVB fluorescents at lightyourreptiles.com...one of these bulbs along with a large enclosure and a more rounded diet would be just what the (herp) doctor ordered!

3. RenaeK816

RenaeK816 New Member

i think that if you can take care of him better then that guy is now then you should...he looks pretty good weight bbut it doesnt look like the has had any kind of uv lighting which could mean there may be more wrong with him then you can see but if you rescue him you will be making that beardie a very happy boy and hopefully saving him from that jerk that has him now

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Actually, if that dragon is really taken outside for an hour a day for natural sun, that's better than any bulb out there.

5. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

He stopped taking him outside over a year ago.

6. mld

Did you get him:confused:

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While natural, unfiltered sunlight is better than any bulb out there with exposure time being equal, I'm not so sure an hour of exposure a day is better than any bulb/bulb array out there. These animals, along with most other basking reptiles, bask for much longer than one hour a day in both the wild and in captivity. If you were to provide a properly installed UVB bulb that produces good levels of UVA (~30%) and UVB (~150-200 uW/cm2) I'd choose the bulb over an hours worth of sunlight. In addition, unlike the outdoors, the animal is able to both photoregulate and thermoregulate at the same time when exposed to UVB/UVA in an indoor captive environment. This basically means that the animal is not forced to bask directly beneath the heat source (unlike the sun) to be exposed to decent levels UVB/UVA, and is still able to attain said levels of UVB and UVA within cooler portions of the enclosure. Not to argue, of course, just pointing out a bit of info :)

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm pretty sure in the end it's the same. No bulb out there puts out the UVB capacity of the sun. Animals don't bask all day under their lights either. So one hour of sunlight is much better than no bulb and quite possibly better than any bulb out there.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While that may be true to an extent, Arcadia bulbs (and older MegaRay MVB/MH lamps) are capable of producing UVB levels upwards of 200 uW/cm2, which is extremely close to mid-morning/late afternoon natural sun, at least here in NY (I know this because I took readings). Higher elevations will prove to be higher, but how much I don't really know. I won't argue that natural sunlight is better than no bulb (of course it is :D), but I stand by my above statement that an hour of natural sunlight (at which point in the day we don't know) isn't hands down better than any quality, well rigged bulb array out there. Again, I don't mean to argue...just making a case for UVB bulbs.

10. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Yeah. I made a video for you guys, but I can't figure out how to post it.

11. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

I need to post the Video I took for you guys. Still trying to figure out HOW.... confuses me to death. I took a nap today right? And as I crawled into my bed my Beardie was falling asleep in his new lamp while looking longingly at me. What did i do? Picked him up, but him in bed next to me, and put the covers on us. I felt him edge closer and put his head under my chin. My mother had to drag us BOTH out of bed. It's SO awesome to sleep with a beardie right next to you. He's just SO tame. He already has learned that if you try to crawl up the glass while im in the room you get out for a LONG time with us. He has free roamed the couch and living room already (supervised, of course,) He passed the doggy test because when My Shar-pei when to sniff him he didn't even move. Not scared, he just didn't care. The guy said he liked his big dogs(guys he was right to some degree). The dog, June, lost interest because of the lack of reaction. Doesn't care about him anymore. I still watch them of course, but at least now I'm not a jump paranoid Beardie father. LOL. He loves head scratches and will fall asleep right in your arms, and he has grasped to some degree (I'm working with him on it) the following "tricks".

Come on command.

Fetch (im not joking)

"Bring it here" ( i point at something and ask him to bring it here and he drags it over to me with his mouth).

And Tug-O-War

I know they aren't dogs, but if anything it's some mental stimulation for him.

12. mld

Did you go to the video section of the site and follow the directions?

13. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

upload it to photobucket, then provide us the link!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Uh, that is what they do when threatened! They freeze hoping the predator will pass them unnoticed.
    And its not a good idea to put the dragon in bed with you. If you roll over you can crush or smother it.

15. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

thats what i thought. my dragons will let my doggies know! espically cola, he'll hiss and flare out his beard

16. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Well first he licked my dog, then he sat still then proceeded to eat a pill bug that passed in front of him. (Pill bugs live in our house. NO IDEA WHY). Then he waltzed over to the dog bed and plopped on it like a king. I mean he didn't move aggresively. So for the bad phrasing.

As for sleeping. My mother slept with my in bed when I was an infant. For some reason I just KNOW I wont. I have had 4 sleep studies and they all said I don't roll over and I look like a Coma patient. It doesn't really bother me.

17. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

HERE IT IS! I know I am ugly and... large, but alot is from my Chronic Disease. I also know I picked him up wrong, but I am trying to let him know I won't hurt him, and I was also holding the Camera. The cage is TEMP, was just to get him away from teh last guy. Feedback encouraged!

8acf13a8.mp4 video by Ripkabird98 - Photobucket

18. mld

First you are not ugly, you shouldn't put yourself down! Sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders and want the best for this bearded dragon!

As for the real Salad, A few things need to change
    Staple greens should make up most of his salad, greens should be chopped up fine and if using veggies like squash or carrot they need to be grated.

I am going to link you to a diet page and you will notice what is in the green is a staple food that can be given daily, yellow can be fed occasionally and red should never be fed.
    Feeding Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps)

Edit; Almost forgot to mention that you shouldn't be using particulate substrate, Floor tiles (ceramic, porcelain or slate) are best, they are easy to clean and remove, and nice rough ones will actually file down the nails. In the mean time remove the substrate and use paper towel. I may also be a good idea, when ever getting a new reptile, to make an appointment with a reptile/exotics vet for an annual check up and bring in a fresh fecal for testing.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You are doing a wonderful job so far! I will say that a food processor or a slap-n-chop are wonderful machines when it comes to feeding fruits and veggies to reptiles, saves so much time on mincing and chopping.
    As a point of reference Beautiful Dragons is a wonderful site for information on bear dies including nutrition charts, common ailments, and especially ordering whole sale priced items like cricket water and ceramic bulbs. Or even microscopes and weight scales. Plus they are a nonprofit rescue and it's always nice to support them while still getting a great deal.
    Onln other thing I saw concerning besides the size of his salads is the free roaming birds. You might want to look into getting a lid just so the birds don't get in or your lizard out. Don't want birds harming lizards or vice versa.

20. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

My Bird dont free roam. My parakeets know how t o get out of the cage. I used that same tank in the same place with my turtles for over a year with no problems, and im not really worried.