This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Feed Mice or Rats?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by OokamiReyuu, Mar 2, 2013.

1. OokamiReyuu

OokamiReyuu Well-Known Member

Ok im on two forums for snakes. One said rats arent good for a boa until the boa is feeding on adult mice. Now she had a noticable lump after she ate a rat fuzzie for me. but the guys said rat fuzzies would be ok for her.... Help? Im confused on what to feed her

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Interesting. Why did they say that it wasnt good to feed rats until after the adult mice? There isnt really any nutritional difference in similarly aged mice or rats. The advantage of rats is simply that they get bigger, so its really up to you.

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Its all in relevance to how thick you're animal is. How big around its you're snake? The prey shouldn't be thicker than the thickest part of the animal. As for the rats, there shouldn't be a problem feeding rat, as long as they're not too big.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Rats are more nutritional than mice, or so I've heard. I've never heard that about mice and rats.

5. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Its a common rumour around forums, but is not true. There is very little difference between them, if you compare them at the same age.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

from what I have understood, the argument is because a mouse that's older has already developed better then a rat the same size but who's younger. It's believed their skeletal structure is denser... I can not lend any substance to either side but I will say my guys are all on rats and growing well :) Don't know how much of a difference it really makes. to me it's easier to feed rats since they all eventually outgrow mice

7. OokamiReyuu

Thats what I was told its easier to do rats. But they said its higher fat content and that you shouldnt see a lump in the boa when u feed cuz of thier digestion etc... They breeder I bought her from was feeding her mice hopper which if im right a fuzzy is the rat equilvilant

8. JoeyG

Rats really are fine

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

You can feed rats as early as you want... and maybe i should stick a dead rat in a blender and measure it's nutritional content vs a mouse in a blender... >:)

10. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Rats should be fine but make sure that you aren't feeding too much bigger than the widest part of the snake.

11. OokamiReyuu

Ok and they looked to.be the right Size for her and ewww bout the blender thing

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Mmm Smoothie anyone?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You have to be careful about advice on some forums. There is a lot of truly horrendous nonsense that is posted.
    Rats are fine to feed and the whole "rats versus mice" thing is that a rat has more meat on its body than a similar size mouse.
    Their digestion has nothing to do with it.
    If you do not see a lump in the snake after feeding,....you are feeding too small.

14. OokamiReyuu

Thanks i'm gonna stick with rats, found a couple places that sell live and i'll just Co2 them myself. Now another question. They said not to feed her in a tub but shes rarely off her branches so i pulled her out to feed her and they said that was also a big no no with boas. but shes a weird eater she wont strike and constrict. just bites and swallows

15. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Cleaning blenders is already bad enough. So,would you rather clean out rodent guts, or fruit mush?

16. Boaboy

Boaboy Active Member

I have heard on countless occasions that rats are far more nutricious for snakes than mice......i dont know why? If i am wrong correct me! :)

17. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Yep, youre wrong :)

Its a fallacy that gets repeated again and again on forums by people who dont understand the nutrition of either one. One person repeats it, then another, then another....

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Rodent guts cant be any worse than roach guts and mealworms.

19. Boaboy

Boaboy Active Member

lol thanks and are they no diferent then in nutrition

20. JoeyG

Feed her in her enclosure she'll be fine.