This Disappears When Logged In

She's Eating Her Self and I'm Serious...

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Albino_O, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

Hello, I just got in to the whole King snake thing. I had a California King for a year and a half. I was babysitting him for that entire time when my friend couldn’t keep him but one day, which was recent, I had to give him back. Even though the bugger was a meanie but I liked it. So now I have four new ones…three are hatchling just like the Cal King and one adult.

So my problem is now of one of the four Kings I got. She is the only one who isn’t a hatchling but an adult albino speckled King. She is soooooo tame up until a few days ago. I swear I’m cursed or clearly doing something wrong. Or both. Okay, she is 3 feet long I keep her in a 32Qt snake rack system. Temp is 74 to 84; I keep her in aspen and I feed her dead thawed mice, weanlings to small adult mice; once every Saturday in a separate container. I have only had her for over two weeks now and she been doing well up until now. As I pick her up a few times a week and always before I feed her I hold her for at least 30mins.

So starting of this week or last week I noticed red marks on her, blood? I can wash it off easily so I guess its blood from what? I see no wounds on her so I guess it was from to mice. So I gave her a small bath and placed her back in her rack. So again in mid week I came to pick her up… I pulled the tub and I came for her mid section and she struck at my hand. Mouth open. For some reason ignored it and held her she was fine after that. Held her for about an hour then placed her in a feeding tank and gave her a small adult mouse. After she ate it I placed her back in the rack. Now, as in just a few minutes ago… I came to pick her up to do the same old thing but this time... I pulled the tub and I saw her struck her self and bite firmly to her own tail, which explains the red marks, and only now I see a wound. So I’m afraid she gone mad. Or simply she hungry and I need to increase her feeding??? So I held her for a moment when she let me but during the whole time she looked her my hand and herself as if she wanted to eat. I cleaned out her tub added water in a bowl for her, I placed her back she drank from it and sat in it. then when I was about to pull out the bowl she struck at her self again! So I'm lost as to what to do and I want her to stop. So I gave her food…where I feed her this time in her tub. I know I shouldn’t have but she's gone mad and I’m afraid to hold her! even to move her to the feeding tank. I let her to go feed and when I checked back on her. She was done and when my hand was going to pull the tub she struck towards at my hand through the tub.

So yeah…help! She gone mad and or I’m a bloody retard cuz am i doing something wrong????

and this is she aka "Big E' Small"...3 feet of crazy hyper...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

If you have only had her a few weeks she might just be settling in. Give her time to adjust to the new surroundings.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you saying that you give one a week? sometimes weanlings?
    That snake could easily be on large mice or even rat pups. Try upping the feeder size. You should see a distinct lump after she feeds.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

She sounds really hungry. As Merlin asked, do you see a lump in her body after you feed her? If not, you need to up the prey size a decent amount.

5. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

Weanlings to small adult mice for one thing, you should give her a large mouse not small as you are saying. Striking is hunger, she smells the mouse and wants it.

6. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

I contacted the breeder that i got her from and she said whatever i been doing was fine. The breeder has had her ever since she was born and was one of her breeders. She was feeding on weanlings once a week, however I think I will be feeding her from now one small adult mice and not weanlings anymore. Also the breeder added that I bathe her after feeding or a day after in case she is smelling her food on herself. So I'm gonna try that and update you guys on that...yah okay. thanks!

7. schlegelbagel

Weenlings were fine when she was a baby, but as they grow, so does their appetite. You need to be feeding them something that is larger than the width of their body. She will take it without a problem.

Once she is fed, you should leave her alone for 2 days, no handling. She should always have a dish of water to soak in so give baths is not really necessary. They will soak when they want to.

If she is smelling food on herself and striking, then she is still hungry. Really, she needs to be fed a lot more!

8. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I agree with Liz, handlling right after you feed it can result in a regurge which isn't good for your snake. Increase the food size and see if she stops biting.

9. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

Okay, Thank you! I'd do that and up date up all.

10. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

Update, i feed her large mice now and I feed her in her rack tub only to feed and digest and stuff. After 3 days or so I move her back to her large enclosure. She no longer biting her self. Thank you for your help.

11. schlegelbagel

You can put her right back in her large enclosure after she has eaten, that's not a problem. Just don't take her out or anything after the move while she digests.

12. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

Okay that's good to know! Thank you :)

13. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:-D glad everything is going well!

14. Albino_O

Albino_O Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.