This Disappears When Logged In

Sheltopusik Care Info?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Damnedheart, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Okay so I asked this back in august and didnt get anything so i wanna try again. I want to learn more about sheltopusiks before i plan a future in having one. I need to know humidity, substrate, hides, temperature, ubv or not, and diet.

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I've never heard of a captive bred one, almost all are imported from Europe and northern Asia. What I do know is they come from a fairly dry enviroment and you might want to try keeping them in a more natural enclosure with real soil and sand as substrate. Some people keep them like snakes in a bin with some aspen shavings and the bare minimum but I don't recommend it. They're a temperate species so nothing too hot. I'd recommend UVB and from my understanding they'll eat about anything.

http://www.wnyherpsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/European-Glass-Lizard-Care-Sheet.pdf

3. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Thanks so much this helps a lot

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I thought I`d responded to you previously and got no reply?
    The caresheet linked to is not particularly good, no mention of humidity range or basking surface temps, also ceramic heat emitters are not effective as "basking" bulbs because they don`t direct the heat downwards, rather all around, although they can be used during the night if the ambient temp gets too low (less than approx. 65f).
    The basking surface temp needs to be around 95f or so. Par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs are excellent at the basking site, they can be fitted with a dimmer switch to easily adjust the surface temp or obviously you can raise/lower bulb/s or basking object, if you can tell me what size tank you`re going to use and usual ambient room temps I`ll try and advise on wattage required.
    The humidity should range between approx 40 to 60% (the higher figure would be below the surface or in the hides)...
    The better UVB tubes are the T5 HO (high output) by Arcadia or Zoo-Med @ 10 or 12%, fit a reflector and the tube should only be around 2/3rds the enclosure length, alternatively you can use a T8 tube, fixed at the recommended distance from tube to animal (it should be in the instructions). A 20gallon fishtank is too small other than very temporarily for a hatchling.