This Disappears When Logged In

Shelled Critter Id Please

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Ipanda, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Here is my latest rescue, Hermen, I was told he is a russian tortise, but I dunno... I don't usually rescue turts/torts.... I just want to know what I have before he goes to the vet Monday so I don't look like a dumb butt (that and I need to know how to care for him properly lol) Here's lots of pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

By the way, I think he is actually a box turtle... Correct me if I'm wrong...

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most definitely a box.

They can live to be close to 125 years old.

I believe (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that Boxes are one of several turtles whose gender can be assessed by looking at the color of their eyes. I'll be darned if I can remember which color means what.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Russian tortoise? LOL!
    Thats a native box turtle.
    Only thing "russian" about those guys is if they are chasing a grasshopper!;)

5. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

After he catches that grasshopper, is he 'finnish'?

6. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Right on thanks guys, I dont usually deal with things that have a shell...

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

yes, lol. That is not a russian tort. remember the diet I told you about on the phone to NOT feed a russian tort? Well that is the diet you are going to want to feed him. lol.
    Merlin, a native box turtle? I am assuming that it is what that is called? I am not aware of any native box turtles in our area. She lives about 45 minutes from me. Ipanda I will look in my book of box turtles and see if I can find that one. The last one I had in was an Eastern box turtle, what a stubborn little bugger, lol. Call me if you are really not into things with shells, lmao.

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Very cute turtle :) Congrats!
    Have you given it a name yet?

9. Merlin

I meant that they are native to the US, not necessarily Washington. Unfortunately there are still quite a number of wild caught native box turtles sold in pet stores.

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I thought I had heard something a while back, about box turtles being sold in pet stores? I thought they were putting a law against that, because they were starting to decline in the wild? However, that one looks like an older one.
    Someone chime in if they heard about the same thing. I see no box turtles for sale up here at all. It has been quite some time since I have seen them at a pet store.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Looks like all the Eastern Box Turtles I pull out of the road on a regular basis.

12. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

If I can remember correctly, here in the Northeast, they've been put on either the threatened or endangered list. They are protected, no catch, no sale, no nothing, just like the Blandings Turtle.

13. schlegelbagel

From the Maryland Department of Natural Resources:
    Wild Acres: Turtles in Maryland

No reptiles or amphibians from List C may be possessed, bred, or sold. These animals may only be held in accordance with a Scientific Collection Permit or an Endangered Species Permit issued by the Department of Natural Resources.

Eastern Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)
    Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus)
    Jefferson Salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum)
    Wherle’s Salamander (Plethodon wehrlei)
    Eastern Hellbender (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis)
    Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus)
    Eastern Narrow-mouthed Toad (Gastrophryne carolinensis)
    Carpenter Frog (Rana virgatipes)
    Mountain Chorus Frog (Pseudacris brachyphona)
    Barking Treefrog (Hyla gratiosa)
    Northern Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica)
    Leatherback Seaturtle (Dermochelys coriacea)
    Loggerhead Seaturtle (Caretta caretta)
    Green Seaturtle (Chelonia mydas)
    Atlantic Hawksbill Seaturtle (Eretmochelys imbricata)
    Kemp's Ridley Seaturtle (Lepidochelys kempii)
    Bog Turtle (Glyptemys muhlenbergii)
    Spiny Softshell (Apalone spinifera)
    Northern Coal Skink (Eumeces anthracinus)
    Rainbow Snake (Farancia erytrogramma)
    Smooth Earthsnake (Virginia valeriae)
    Northern Scarletsnake (Cemophora coccinea)
    Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)
    Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix)

14. Merlin

However such statutes are put in place by each state and can vary widely from one location to another.
    However there will always be those who feel that such regulations only apply to other people, not to THEM!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Here in Florida, Box turtles are a dime a dozen. They did a survey at our zoo to establish how many wild box turtles lived on the zoo property - the results were vague "over 1,000" and hey were still tagging. it's a rare day when you don't see a few of them around.

When I lived up north, in Michigan, I had never seen a wild box turtle in my life.

maybe it's a regional thing.

16. schlegelbagel

I was just pointing out that at least in MD, they are not illegal to take from the wild. They do have a limit on quantity you can take though. Any more and you need permits.

17. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Yea, kinda figured he wasn't a Russian tort after I looked up their care and it didnt look like the one in the picture lol... Thank you Nicole for the info, I went out today and bought him a HUGE rubber maid tub... Man those things are getting expensive!!! Anyways he is happy... He so far is a really good turtle, he doesn't try and bite or anything... So he will be sticking around for a LONG (pun intended) time.

18. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have never had a turtle or tortoise try to bite, lol. They tend to be the more peaceful reptiles you get in rescue. I am not talking about the snappers and such though, lol. If you get bit by one, chances are they thought you had food. I have to watch Oscar with that, lol.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you gotta try pretty hard to get bit by a tortoise.

Turtles however, you're guess is as good as mine. I have a very tame Map, and I have had Snappers who were almost as mellow. I have had paints that thought fingers were on the menu.

20. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Well I'm glad they aren't bitey critters, my 8 year old step-son has taken it upon himself to learn proper care for box turtles. He came home with 4 library books on them yesterday and nagged me all evening about getting on the internet so he can compare care sheets lol. After two weeks of him living with us he is already following my foot steps which makes me pretty happy, his dad's a little worried tho lol. He helped me set up Hermen's new house last night, which is a 55 gal rubber maid tub, with a smaller sterillite container in it for his water side. My step son added some rough rocks and a piece of drift wood so it will help with keeping his nails trimmed, and he made sure there was enough substrate to dig around in lol. I think he will be my step-son's pet (under my care and supervision of course) They have a weird bond already...Chase says "We came to live with you for the same reason... Because we weren't being taken care of right". LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.