This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding question

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by kris198921, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

ok i read all over the internet about what to do when your leopard gecko is shedding but i wanted someone to tell me who has a leopard gecko, because this is herro's first time shedding since i have had him, and tips.

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Elite Member

Re: hey

Just make sure he has a humid hide. After he is done check and make sure there isnt any stuck because he could lose a toe or his tail if old skin cuts off the circulation. And check the hide for any loose skin in there, it can get pretty nasty if you don't get it out.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Did you put a humid hide in like we told you to, if so, are you keeping it moist? You can also mist the tank.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Kris- If you make your title reflect your question you are far more likely to get a response, things like "Shedding Question" would alert people to what you are looking for and probably get you more meaningful answers because it is going to attract people who know about shedding issues.

5. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

ok thanks and i do have a moist hide in there but he doesn't go in, also i heard that putting him in a shallow bowl of warm water helps is that true.

6. Moshpitrockchick

as long as he is supervised you can soak him in a little warm water, that works best for getting stubborn skin off of their toes.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I second that.
    I am changing the title of the thread to "Shedding Question"

8. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

alright but he still isn't done shedding and he wont let me help him shed because every time i try to help him he shrugs away.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Where is the shed stuck?

10. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

right front leg, toes, and head

11. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

make sure there is some rough object like a hide or dish that he can rub his old skin on, that helps to get things started a lot. As mentioned moist hide is a must, not even just when they are shedding, a moist hide on top of a uth works well. Leopards usually eat their old skin, so i doubt you will find any shed skin in the hide. And yes soaking it in a bowl of warm water will help, be careful, warm to you may be already detrimental to your gecko's health. If the skin is still stuck pick up your gecko and CAREFULLY either use your fingers or tweezers and try rubbing/pulling the skin off. More than one soak/try may be needed.

12. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

ok well now it is just around a couple of its toes it looks like because it doesnt want to go out of its moist hide

13. Moshpitrockchick

You need to get it off the toes otherwise the skin will act like a tourniquet and cut off all of the blood flow until the toe dies and falls off.

14. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

well can i use a q-tip or what every time i put him in a little warm water he climb over edge into my hand

15. Moshpitrockchick

so put him in a dish he can't climb out of.

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

try a deep pot with an inch of water.

17. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

ok thanks i got it all off and it seems that herro trust's me now.

18. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

heres what Herro looks like now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. venus

venus Founding Member

He is very cute. Good job getting the shed off.

20. kris198921

kris198921 Elite Member

thanks it took a little while but i did it, and like i said i think it made Herro trust me more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.