This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Issues

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Eric Grove, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Eric Grove

Eric Grove New Member

Our young green iguana has had this patch of skin for about a week and a half. I did read that we need to have good humidity levels and to soak it for about 30 minutes. The skin is thicker than the rest around it and there are very dark spots. We've got him about 6 weeks ago. Was wondering if it something to worry about. 20180901_124147.jpg 20180901_124054.jpg

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

What are the humidity levels in the cage? Showing a picture of the way you have him set up is always helpful because if there is anything that shows up in the picture that will cause issues, a picture will show it much better than just some words of explanation.

To be honest, soaking them does nothing to hydrate them. Sure it can soften up some stuck shed but that should only be done for a severe case. And in doing so, you are probably causing some undue stress by handling him so much. Normally it does take some time to build up trust with a lizard to be able to interact without causing them to freak out. There should be some freedom to settle into their new environment at their pace. 6 weeks of keeping him is still quite short really.

3. Eric Grove

Eric Grove New Member

15359253302782445351960164128479.jpg 15359254559776023771461272373555.jpg That was the 1st time I held him since we put him in the tank. I know that was very early to hold him, but just want to look and take some pictures. We got him at pet smart so keeping a eye on him for any issues he may develop.
    He doesn't mind my hand in his tank to change water, feed him, and do some spot cleaning. He was to the point where he would let me get close. But now I set us back a little.
    Now he's shedding everywhere. So the humidity levels go as low as 60 and than we spray the tank and it goes up of course.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, there is no way you can stabilise either the temps or humidity with the screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible using kithcen foil/other, only leaving holes large enough for the heat/lighting.
    Fishtanks are not at all suitable other than very temporarily even with some modifications (a couple of months at the most). Spraying the enclosure will only raise the humidity for a few minutes.
    I`m guessing (because of the domes) that you`re using a compact UVB bulb, they are virtually useless because the amount they emit is negligable and it`s only over a very small area, you need a linear fluorescent tube, at least a T8 @ 10-0 or a T5 HO (high output) by Arcadia or Zoo-Med, it needs to be approx 2/3rds the enclosure length at the recommended height and fitted with a reflector.
    You haven`t said what the basking surface temp is or how you measure it?
    At the moment the iguana is not being supported properly which will lead to many health problems in quite a short space of time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Lori68 likes this.
  5. Eric Grove

Eric Grove New Member

The tank is only temporary and I do plan on building a enclosure. I just need to do some research on what will be best. The aluminum foil is a nifty trick for now until I'm able to purchase a new light. Would a mister or fogger be helpful. My next question is would either of the above cause scale rot over time?
    I'm new to keeping a iguana but I'm used to snakes from when I was growing up but its been a long time since I cared for a reptile. They were common to the area I'd lived. So tropical reptiles are a 1st for us. Just want to do it right so he lives a long life.

6. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I personally am quite leery of a fogger to use in an enclosed space. A good set up will have a lot of choices with both heat and humidity. Closer to the basking area will be warmer but there is a chance to get away from the heat completely. Same goes for humidity....there are some humid areas of the cage and then some areas where the animal has a chance to feel less humid. A fogger quickly engulfs the entire cage so there is no place to get away from the humidity....that's at least how I see it being. Indeed, there is such a thing as too much humidity which absolutely cause issues if not addressed....so for myself I provide a range of heat and humidity for my animals (I keep monitors though, not iguanas)

Iguanas are pretty aboreal and without a taller cage there is very little ability to climb, which is what my word of advice would be. Even though your guy is still pretty small, he should still be given a bit more height so he can get the chance to climb for stimulation and exercise. Have you taken a look at the cage examples this forum has? If you don't know where to find it, its under the resources section and just go from there.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

What you want to build is going to basically a sealed plywood box with an access point and a viewing area, like a glass front with a door somewhere. And it will need to be about the size of a large closet or small room. The specifics will depend on your available space and budget, but you can check out the DIY section here to get some good ideas. As for the original question, keep an eye on the darker areas to see if they get any bigger, but also work on getting the humidity under control in the current cage. That will fix any shedding issues faster than anything else.