This Disappears When Logged In

Shed Question

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Flint, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Little update on Flint, skip to the last paragraph for the actual question :p

Haven't posted in a bit, been pretty preoccupied with finding out my snake has RI :(

I didn't post because I knew the best advice was to get him to a vet ASAP, so we went last Monday. That was his first vet visit, so he got dewormed, along with oral RI medicine that apparently absorbs through the gums. He was weighed by the vet to be 40g, didn't get him measured but say 1.5'. Other than the RI, vet said he looked great. Other than being pale and going into shed.

He gets his medicine squirts every other day, so today was his 2nd one. 3 more and he's done. Then a check up at the vet, and hopefully this never happens again :(

Of course, the reason was without a doubt my poor husbandry. I had a stick on gel thermometer, (which actually wasn't too inaccurate) a 60 watt red bulb (which was no match for the cold spell we just had in CA), an analog gauge hygrometer (it read 15% high!!) and misting twice a day.

Luckily, I got paid on Monday, so on the way home from the vet we stopped at the local pet supply store (where I also dropped off a resume yesterday ;)) and picked up coconut husk substrate, peat moss, fake ivy-like plants that cover the whole terrarium floor, an ultrasonic fogger, a 150 watt black light (on a thermostat so it runs about 10 seconds every other minute lol), a 3-in-1 repti shelter (which he doesn't use :p) and then at Home Depot I got an acu-rite indoor-outdoor hygrometer/thermometer w/ min/max memory (that's how I knew my old hygrometer was so wrong!) and an outlet timer for the fogger.

SO... long story short, his tank is now at 83-85 F (vet said to keep it a little warmer than usual while he's fighting the RI) with 95-99% humidity on the cold side (I'm sad to say the new acu-rite thing told me his humidity has been around 65% when I was using the analog gauge).

NOW.. the actual question lol. I found his first shed today since I've had him. I know sheds are supposed to come off all in one piece. I found it in 2 main halves along with a few other chunks. I checked over his whole body and didn't find anything that looked like dead skin still hanging on. I figured since his humidity is now where it should be, he should shed fine. Could him being sick have affected the shed? Or am I worried over nothing because it simply tore in a few places as he slithered through the coconut husk? (I found it half buried in the substrate on the warm side)

Thanks for reading! I'll post pics later

edit: pic of the shed, and a photo shoot from last night! still can't really see the rainbow... I'll have to take him outside in the sun for some shots later. The model is one of my best friends, she took some amazing pics lol. I'll post more from last night soon as my dad gets done cleaning them up with photoshop and after I get permission of course lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If there is retained shed you will be able to see it.
    The only worry is the eye caps. Unroll the shed skin from the head area and check to see that they are there.
    And you do realize that the accurite unit only reads humidity from the base unit so that has to be inside the enclosure? It doesn't read humidity from the probe.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Both units are in the enclosure, and it gives indoor and outdoor readings for temp and humidity. So the probe has to read humidity. Its actually called a Weather Station Forecaster. Apparently the main function is the 14-day learning mode, which learns the weather then predicts tomorrows weather. Which is pointless because its always rainy :p. But it was the only one I found with indoor/outdoor temp and humidity with min/max memory.

His eyes look perfectly clear, no paleness like I saw a few days ago before his shed. Ill try and find those shed eye caps.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a similar unit, and the indoor/outdoor feature typically applies only to the temp. Humidity is measured through base unit.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

So when it displays outdoor temp and humidity, and indoor temp and humidity, 4 different numbers, its just taking one humidity reading and guesstimating?

I tested it by leaving the main unit in the cage, then setting the probe outside by my truck. I left it for 10 min, then checked the readings, and found the outdoor temp and humidity were accurate based on the current weather in my town I found online. The indoor reading showed no change.

If it only reads humidity through the base unit, it does some fancy guess work. :p

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Are you using "remote" probes or is the probe attached to the main unit with a cable? If it is a remote probe then it DOES read humidity. I use the remote probes in my CWD enclosure and they work great :)

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Cute little rainbow! :)
    Yes, the poor shed could be do to the illness or just to all the handling (vet/meds) during the shed phase.
    I hope he'll be feeling better soon!

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Oh yes it's a remote probe. Little white box, good up to 100 ft away lol.

Thanks blackjack! Yeah he was handled a bit much, with the vet and the photo shoot in the same week. I've been leaving him alone more now since the medicine every other day is stressful enough. He ate today, wonderful feeding response as usual.

His skin is all clear, so I'm thinking the shed wasn't a problem. We'll see what the vet says next week when he goes in for a check-up after the medicine is done.

Thanks everyone!

edit: Just realized something. He ate today around 10 am. I need to give him medicine tomorrow. Is there a chance holding his head and squirting his mouth (which he hates!) will cause him to regurgitate? Any tips on how to administer the medicine more easily for him, or what to do if he does regurgitate?

9. Merlin

Get it done quickly and return him to the tank. This will lessen the chance of regurgitation.
    Right now the snake needs the medicine more than it needs another mouse.

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Got him his meds, no regurgitation, and finished his last dose today.

His skin is feeling smooth and hydrated like it did the day I bought him, he loves that 95% humidity!

Lol he's always curled up right next to the fogger.

Going to the vet for a follow up tomorrow, hopefully he's all better!

11. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Glad to hear its going well and he is a very nice looking snake. How lucky he is to be "modeled" with. :)

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Just got back from the vet. Flint is doing great! Completely recovered, and everyone at the clinic loves him haha :D

He just ate, great feeder as always. Although he has been striking the rear of the fuzzy recently, and swallowing backwards.. He gets it down fine, but it still worries me. Perhaps I need to get those feeding forceps and dangle the prey head first in front of him. I've been just setting the mouse in the tank, and then returning him to the tank. Like finding chocolate on your pillow at a hotel :p ok maybe not. Is swallowing backwards a problem?

Sorry I tend to keep changing subjects with new questions in the same posts. I just don't like starting new threads, feels like spamming..

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Don't worry about Flint swallowing prey backwards, a lot of snakes do it, it just makes it harder to swallow but they find a way. I have one that does it every single time I feed him and he has had no problems.

14. Merlin

It's is better to start a new thread with new questions. People may view the original post as having input all that they have to offer and never see the new question.

LOL! Trust me! If you are spamming we will let you know!

15. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

My Red Tail will swallow his rat backward every now and then, he constricts, then goes from front to back for a few minutes before he decides which end he wants to eat it from. usually he gets it head first, but not always, and he's been just fine every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.