This Disappears When Logged In

Shaken...

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 18, 2015.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not that I wasn't expecting it at some point but now that it has passed I can't help but feel shaken by the passing of Bluegenes, my Emerald Swift male. Bought as wild caught (99.9% are wild caught) and fully grown I had little way of knowing just how old he was.

I know I should have more confidence in my husbandry techniques as I have really dove into learning all I could about S. malachiticus I could get my hands on. But alas when the day arrives to say goodbye I bring EVERYTHING into question. And as I write this I wonder if this is EXACTLY what I should be feeling and experiencing. If I can become hyperaware to all my changes over the years can I find a pattern I missed that may have caused harm.

I know much of my choices have been based off generic articles written from decades ago to the present that I soon realized where spotty at best. And every mistake we make shaves time off the back side of our charges lives.

I'm currently not replacing this colony as I feel I really need more information on the family of lizards currently called the Emerald Swift. My research has shown me that there are at least 3 major sub sets of these lizards and I wonder if this has been the block in my breeding attempts.

Well I need to move on and clear my head... Goodbye Bluegenes...
    0001140126.jpg

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. It is an unfortunate side affect of pet ownership. I think we have all second guessed ourselves at some point.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for your loss. I too tend to question myself, rather harshly, when I lose an animal, so it's not just you. The sad truth is that sometimes, even though we have done the best we could, they will leave us eventually, and often we will never know if it was something we did wrong or not. But I'm betting you gave it the best care you could while you had it.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of keeping captive animals. Learning what they need is often from the death of others.
    It does make us scrutinize our husbandry techniques but that is always for the better anyway.
    But then your care might have been spot on and it was an underlying issue that could not be supported by being in captivity.
    It's a tough to lose something you put so much care into.
    It says something about an owner who is saddened by the loss of a reptile.
    I know no one here can say you don't give your reptiles the best.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's our nature to second guess ourselves and try to figure out what WE did wrong...
    Even when the answer is "nothing".

DwarvenChef likes this.
  6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Having trouble today just thinking about removing the tank to clean it out, kind of a Not Accepting that he is gone. I have set a date to clear it out and than I need to decide if one of the others will get that space or put the 40 in storage (not a lot of room here).

Thanks for the replies. While I'm not unfamiliar with this I think I got a bit more attached to Bluegenes as he was the subject of many photo sessions, I have ALOT of pictures of him :) In that he will live on for a very long time :) and that is an encouraging thought :)

kriminaal likes this.
  7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry for your loss :-(, you're an exceptional keeper, don't be rough on yourself.

DwarvenChef likes this.