This Disappears When Logged In

Sexing Borneo Short Tailed Pythons? and Age/size You Can Safely Breed?

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by EyeOfHorus, Feb 13, 2013.

1. EyeOfHorus

EyeOfHorus Well-Known Member

Hello! I was wondering how you can accurately determine the sex of Borneo's? I read that both males and females probe nearly the same, and the variance seen makes probing inconclusive? I can't pop, because the animal in question is too big. Going to try the tail rub method on "her" but I'm not sure how accurate that would be with bloods.

And, What age/weight could you safely/successfully breed Borneo short tailed pythons? Some idea of weight/age (for males and females) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Male:
    img1497rv.jpg
    Female:
    img1526sx.jpg

Attached Files:

2. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

They don't always probe the same, but some females do indeed have deep pockets. I just acquired a pair last Sunday from an expo. Regardless of how reputable the breeder, I always sex my newbies..........two sets of eyes is always better. The male checked a solid 7 on both sides. The first side I checked on the female went 5, but the other side only 3. There are females who will probe deep like a male on both sides though. I can tell you that in my experience the "tail rub" has always agreed with the probing. It is not very accurate in colubrids though. I have never mastered popping.

I can't help you with an appropriate breeding age. I have never bred them and have not checked into this. The pair that I have now will be bred so I hope we get an answer. I will contact the breeder whom I got mine from and see what he says.

By the way, you have a couple of beauties there!!

Ok, I just e-mailed the breeder whom I purchased from this past weekend. He says with plenty of food they can breed at two years of age but it is not recommended. He begins breeding at four years of age. He does not use weight to determine suitability but his experience is that females with plenty of fat cells produce more eggs.

Please remember that this is the opinion of one breeder. He does have years and years of experience with Borneo's, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his methods are 100% correct or the only way. Sorry, I just wanted to put a little disclaimer in there because I don't have a lot of experience with this species and am only relaying information. If you would like, I can see if he minds me sending you his contact information by PM or something like that?

3. shinta

shinta Member

For dipong 1 adult male size s / d 1.8 m, while adult females 1.5 s / d 2.5 m
    Males have 2 hemipenis located at the base of the tail.