This Disappears When Logged In

Sex Of My Frog Eyed Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Tucker, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Tucker

Tucker Member

Hey everyone,

I just got Froggy a week ago. He is a frog eyed gecko, a wonder gecko. Not one of the giant ones.

I would really like to add at least one more wonder gecko into the tank in the next couple weeks. I have a 20L cage.

I know that I cannot have two males and so I need to figure out if Froggy is a boy or girl. I have done some research and I believe he is a boy but I want to be sure.

So two questions. Boy or girl? And how many geckos can be housed comfortable in a 20L tank?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

How old? Looks like might be too young yet to tell for sure.

3. Tucker

Tucker Member

The pet store told me they had him for about a year but I'm not sure how accurate that is. They also were not sure how old he was when they got him.

4. kriminaal

Been a long time since I had them. But the males should have the hemipenal bulges. I would lean towards female on that one.

5. Tucker

Tucker Member

Would you suggest getting a male or a female for my second? I have a 20L terrarium

6. kriminaal

I always, always try to get pairs. I see no need to have more than one if not for the purpose of trying to breed.
    You have to be prepared though to separate them if need be.

7. Tucker

Tucker Member

Hey guys,

Almost a year later here. I have done a lot more research on these guys. They are not really kept by very many people and I have never seen one in a pet store other than my Froggy. I have decided to breed them. I acquired a pair yesterday. Until recently I had thought my Froggy to be a Tibetan Frog Eyed gecko but I am now of the opinion that she is a Russian Frog Eyed Gecko. The pair I have are definitely Tibetan Frog Eyed geckos.

Just like with most other reptiles and amphibians, I see no reason why different subspecies would be an issue. After all that is how you get morphs. However, I would like input from some gecko experts?

They are fine together as of right now. The female Russian and female Tibetan were even in the same cave cuddling last night. There has been zero violence, aggression whatsoever. Any input from resident gecko experts would be appreciate, preferably someone who has kept and/or bred these geckos.

I have a nice setup going and can provide pictures if you would like.

Thanks in advance