This Disappears When Logged In

Setup Ok

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by MHDNewbie, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

Hey guys I just got a lizard and I love it.
    I had a couple fish and algae eater in a 10 gal tank and I decided why not throw a couple of frogs in there. So I plan on buying two firebelly toads tomorrow and maybe a firebelly newt. I'm not sure.

But is this setup ok and will my algae eater and fish be ok if I leave them in there. I would assume the fish would get eaten but I'm not positive.

Thanks

2. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

re: Setup Ok?

Here is a picture of it.

Attached Files:

3. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

Never mind that setup, I changed it to this one. I think it's better than it was at least. I'm going to the pet store in a couple of hours to get the frogs. I'm going to put two in there and I'm going to buy a couple of live plants. Anyone have any recommendations on what plants to get?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Simple answer to your questions is no.

You should not put anything firebellied with fish and a pleco. The toxins produced by the toads and/or newt would kill anything living in the water.

Your set up is also not adequate for any of the things you want to keep in the 10 gal. I would suggest you check out the toad forum where there are quite a few recent threads on set-ups for firebelly's and their care.

5. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

I did read all those and my set up is exactly what it should be.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Lets see here.

That setup is FINE for firebellies with a little bit of tweaking.

Do you have coco-husk on top? I think so, but the photo is rather small? If so then your setup is OK, you just have to be sure the little gravel is under the water line and no where near the surface. This way nothing gets accidentally injested. They only eat on land.

They could use something to perch on in the deeper end. They are good swimmers, but need landing spots. Something as simple as a fake plant. It could also use a fake or real plant on the land side so they feel secure.

The only other thing I would suggest is some sort of filtration. Firebellies are just as messy as turtles and will require frequent water changes without a filter. If you are OK with doing a water change once a week, then you don't need a filter. I'm too lazy for that, so I have a simple filter in there and change the water once a month.

Shell is right. Firebellies produce toxins in their skin and will kill anything else living with them in a closed container. Not to mention, plecos get up to 14 inches long and won't fit in there. And goldfish produce tons of ammonia and could make your toads sick.

For your live plant question, they won't really grow in the rock substrate. I would suggest a small potted pothos. They are hard to kill and your toads will like climbing on them. I have tried live plants in the water side, never with any luck. Probably because of the toxin build up. I stuck with fake.
    Hope that helps!

7. Mala

Mala Member

Fake water plants will be easier to take care of, and cheaper in the long run, no matter if the tank is for fish or reptiles.

As Liz said, pelco's grow HUGE. It should not remain in that tank for any length of time. When fish are kept in tanks that are too small for them they "stunt". Their insides keep growing but their outsides stay the same size. This has resulted in the myth that fish will only grow as large as their container will allow. Stunting leads to illness and early death in fish. Sorry if I sound harsh, I don't really mean to be.

If you want algae eaters for a small tank, go with otos. Easy to care for, easy to find, any don't grow more than an inch. In the setup you have now you could keep one, provided there are green things growing (otherwise you'll have to provide sinking algae wafers or veggies. If you fill that tank up the rest of the way you could have two with an appropriate number of other fish.

Remember that the way the tank is set up now, you only have about 2 gallons of water in there, so stock accordingly. Also, smaller fish tanks are actually harder to maintain as there is less margin for error in toxins and pH and water evaporation and whatnot.

If you keep fish in there, definitely get some filtration. You will need water movement to get oxygen to dissolve properly (unless you change the water every day or two). You'll also need to pick up water test kits if you're keeping fish for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Of course as Shelly and Liz have said, you wouldn't want to keep any fish with a firebelly.

Getting off my fishy soapbox now. Apologies for ranting or repeating already known information. I may not know much about reptiles (yet) but I do know freshwater fish!

8. schlegelbagel

This is SO TRUE. I have a 5 gallon tank for a beta and I can't stop the algae from growing, yet my 37 gallon does just peachy.

9. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

Ok guys, thanks for everything. When I went and got my frogs I got a little 2 gallon filter. I got rid of that mulch stuff because I fed the toad and he got a mouth full of it. He couldn't even eat the cricket, so I instantly took that stuff out and replaced it with large rocks. Here is a picture of what it looks like now with the toads in it.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Setup Ok?

I don't see a picture! lol Did you forget to add it?

11. Mala

Mala Member

I would still recommend removing the fish, but weather you keep the fish in there or not, you should remove some of the water and replace it with fresh (dechlorinated) water daily for the next week or two. If you leave the fish in change at least 50% of the water daily. I don't know how much time the toads spend in the water, or what amount of waste they will produce in there, but if you remove the fish and just have the toads in there, go with at least 10%.

You are adding a large bioload to the tank now, and your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are going to spike, which is dangerous to all the animals in there. Changing the water for the next week or two on a daily basis will help dilute the toxins. After a week or so, the bacteria that grow and neutralize ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will have established themselves and the levels of those compounds will be negligible.

12. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

sorry if these are small i dnt no how to get them any bigger

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
  13. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

yeah i definatly plan on changing some of the water everyday. But im not putting the fish or pleco in there im just giving them to my sisters. lol

14. schlegelbagel

Looks good. See if you can't get rid of the little blue rocks that are hanging out at the top. Then you should be good to go. Also, get them some cover, ie fake plants so they feel secure. :)

15. MHDNewbie

MHDNewbie Active Member

i just removed those little rocks on top and i plan on getting plants either later today or tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.