This Disappears When Logged In

Set Up Advice

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by SPruitt22, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I recently moved my Kingsnake from a 50-gallon tank to a 24X18X18in Exo terra terrarium. In his tank, I gave him a new hide, some branches, and a large water bowl. I have been noticing he has no interest in his new hide and has actually seemed to avoid his hot spot. I am using a new heating lamp with a 100W bulb, like I used to use in his 50-gallon tank, but am now wondering if the lamp is too hot for him. I moved the hide out from under the hot spot to see if he would prefer that. He went under there for a bit but is now laying alongside his water dish as far away from the lamp as possible. There used to be a large foam wall insert that I had to remove because he continued getting behind it and I was afraid he would get stuck. Should I change the bulb to a lower wattage or am I over analyzing everything. Or would it be better if I got him some more hides or branches or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

My Current Set up
    IMG_6564.jpg

3. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

How are you measuring the temps for the basking area? A 100 watt might be getting it a bit too hot but without knowing what the basking temps are....can't say for sure. There is no harm in trying out a lower wattage bulb for a couple of days to see if that makes his behavior any different. But again its very important to measure the temps accurately, especially if he is acting differently than he usually does

SPruitt22 likes this.
  4. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So I am using a jump start thermostat to control the temperature of his heat pad during the night when his heat lamp is off. The heat pad is only for a five-gallon tank so its pretty small, but I do not have another thermometer for his daylight cycle. I just measured the daytime temperature with the thermostat and it currently reads 107.7 degrees which if I am not mistaken is too high. I feel like I'll have to change to a lower watt bulb. If I am currently using a 100W basking bulb what do you think would be the preferred wattage bulb? I have read that Kingsnakes need a hot spot that reads a max of 85 degrees or around there and just a reminder his terrarium is 24X18X18. Also is there any other advice for his terrarium set up?

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I could be mistaken but if the heat pad is regulated by a thermostat that should be enough to warm the snake.
    If you still want to use a light you could get a cheap LED one that would put off little to no heat.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  6. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I have heard that too, but my heat pad is pretty small, meant for a 5-gallon tank. I only use it as an emergency heat source my snake has access to when it gets cold at night especially in the winter. I'd continue using the heat lamp during the day, but am unsure what wattage would best suit my enclosure without making it too hot. I am also wondering if I should get him an extra hide or climbing branches or something like that, but am unsure if that would overcrowd the tank as shown above.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Get a bigger heat pad and ditch the light altogether. All you need is a viewing light for your convenience, the snake requires very little. I keep my cal king, and most of my snakes actually, with nothing but viewing lights and assorted heat sources depending on species.