This Disappears When Logged In

Serious Problem Here, Need Some Input

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Colleen, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Ok CeCe, our 6-7' common boa just completed her shed (we just watched her finish). She now has blisters on her skin (bubble with fluid) and one area that looks like a bite mark (scales are missing and you can see pink skin, we only feed frozen thawed.). There is no way she could have gotten burned as she does not have direct access to the lights. Any ideas? I just called the vet and they are closed, so she will go first thing tomorrow. Just want some input. Temps and humidity are fine; she has been eating without a problem.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Colleen and I were chatting and Ce Ce has a UTH but the blisters are on the top of her back. She said no mites and nothing has changed in the last six months. She has a basking light but doesnt think she can reach that high up and stay there long enough. The injury is pretty long and she prefers the cooler side. I am stumped...any ideas?

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

How about tank decor? What sort of stuff is in the habitat with her?

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

The injury starts about 31/2 foot down her body, you will see some blisters (3-4) about 3-6" apart. (Blisters and spots are all around the backbone and maybe to the mid line of her side.) Then you will go down about 1' and you will find the spot where there is two marks about 1" a part 1/2-1" long and maybe 1/4-1/2" wide. Nothing could have gotten in the cage as it has 6 snap locks. Nothing was visible before the shed. She weighs 25-30 pounds.

5. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

She has a very plane aquarium lined with newspaper on the floor and her water bowl (plastic dish pan). Screen lid with 6 locks.

6. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I was looking at some stuff about large snakes shedding and there is the possibility that part of the shed stuck and pulled away, but that sounds a little far fetched for the situation you have.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I was thinking of that too. Like maybe the shed stuck to the skin underneath, and pulled the top layer from the body a little, causing blisters. But that doesn't explain the deeper wound, unless there's skin or scales stuck to the shed.

8. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Shed came off is almost a compete shed. Some how she got her tail out before the last foot or so of her body, but I watched her wiggle out of the last of it, when the problem was found. I don't see any shed stuck on her. I think she will live until tomorrow around noon. I have a physical therapy session in the morning and then we can take her.

9. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Should I take the shed to the vets tomorrow?

10. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

It couldn't hurt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.