This Disappears When Logged In

Seasonal Behavior?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by dragonite, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonite

dragonite Elite Member

Ok I wanted to know if all cwd shed at the same time. I know it depends on humidity and heat and all, but I was wondering if they all shed around the same time. Or if they lay eggs around a certain time? Also I was wondering if it is possible to "act" like a lizard. If I open my mouth at my cwd will she see it as a threat? Also is it possible to train a lizard? When I feed my cwd I put her on a shelf in her enclosure. I want her to go to that spot when she is hungry, so I can know when she is hungry. Is this possible?

2. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I wouldn't say you can "train" them. Like getting them to do what you want them to do. But you can tame them and get them to tolerate and adapt to you. I know mine knows me and is used to me. I let him run around the living room on the furniture and what not. Then when he's sitting on the floor looking around wondering where he's gonna go next, I'll sit on the floor like 4 feet away from him and he'll come running up and jump on my arm and climb right up.

3. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

It's funny I got Leo WD to act like a poor lizard with her head down and acting like she was sad. She did it a couple times until she decided to jump and do her own thing.

I think I have mine spoiled. I let her get a bath with me when I get home from work. (Don't worry just a relaxing bath to get to bed sooner I work afternoon so no soap etc.) She just sits on my leg or arms and runs around. If I don't do this when I get home she gives me this look and mopes in her cage.

And she will only drink out of my hand. Anyone else have a dragon that will only drink out of your hand?

4. dragonite

dragonite Elite Member

Your WD drinks out of your hand? That's dope!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

PLEASE refrain from using IM/Text message slang!

6. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

So when you take a bath with your dragon do you use lukewarm water or hot water like you would normally?

7. Merlin

It really isn't advisable to share a bath with your reptile!
    There are diseases and parasites which are transmissable to humans and this puts you at risk for those transferrals!
    In fact we recommend that after using the tub or sink to soak your animal or washing cage fixtures to disinfect it with bleach before human use.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think I would want to take a bath with dragon poop or urates.

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Especially not and then not use soap....

10. Merlin

No. They shed depending on how much they are growing. There is no specific timetable or date.
    In the wild they would definately reproduce and egg at around the same time. They are genetically hardwired with the trait of reproducing at the time of year that would be most productive in terms of survival of eggs and hatchlings. However in captivity with our ability to manipulate day/night length, temperature and humidity variances, it can throw their "biological clocks" off.
    Possibly. If the animal sees you coming at it with your mouth open what do you think will go through its mind. "I'm fixing to get eaten!" As for acting like a lizard it is not uncommon for iguana keepers to exchange head bobbing with their igs. Sometimes much to the amusement of our families! Mimicing a lizard's behavior can get some interesting responses.
    You can condition animals to certain behavior. Many iguana keepers have trained their lizards to "go" in the bathtub. My ig will actually sit up and beg like a dog for a piece of bread.
    As for the WD telling you that it is hungry, about the only thing there is to watch and see when it goes to check out the food bowl.

11. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

YES!...I think. I didn't get to pick the spot, but when my dragon is hungry he always goes to the same spot. Keep up the routine and I think it's very possible to "train" you dragon to feed in one specific area.

12. dragonite

dragonite Elite Member

Cool, yeah, I think I'm in the process of that, though I think it would be tight to have my water dragon to drink out of my hand.

13. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Luke warm water and the dragon never goes in water she is on my hand or leg at all times. So basically it would be like holding her except I'm relaxing in the tub.

I have to admit when I was younger I had lizards and being young I did not wash my hands well almost half the time handling them. I never got sick from this or got some weird disease.

14. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I'm sure there are a lot of us who might admit to this. Problem is, you become a carrier and even though you don't get sick, you could inadvertently make someone else sick who might not have as strong of an immune system as we did as kids.

My sons, 12 and 13 would lecture you on why you MUST wash your hands after handling reptiles. We have owned an iguana since they were 4 and 5 years old and we had to teach them 'in the extreme' to ensure their health and safety.

As to training, I think anything is possible with enough time, patience and cooperation. Just like Merlins Ig, Rex will sit on his hind legs for bread. He'll "fetch" balled up bread pieces across a floor. And I could make him fly through the air for a pancake. (All of this fed VERY infrequently and on top of a healthy diet, so no chastizing. LOL). When he was younger, he would bask in the Cherry Tree in the yard and scratch at the back door when he wanted to come in. He did this for years. If he wanted to go outside, you simply stood at the back door and he would climb up your leg and to your shoulder for the ride outside.

So, I think part of the socialization of a creature comes from repetition and them realizing what the cause and effect relationships are. Therefore, with the right energy, anything is possible. :)

15. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

As for WDs and training, it's no problem at all! My WD Demitirius has me trained just the way he wants me. He prefers to eat from my hand (currently he likes the giant king worms best), and when he feels it's time to eat, he stands up at the front of the tank and scrabbles away, making as much noise as he can to attract my attention. When I look at him, he stops and stares at me. If I don't feed him right away, he does it again.

If that doesn't work, he climbs to the top of his enclosure & flings himself out into the air, and lands with a great splash in the water...then he stares at me again to see if I got the hint. No reaction? Do it again! Repeat as necessary...

It always works for him (although it's fun to delay a few minutes to watch the show - visitors get a kick out of it, as do the dogs).

In short, yes - WDs can train humans just fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.