This Disappears When Logged In

Sealing And Waterproofing Wood

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by commander1337, Nov 6, 2015.

1. commander1337

commander1337 Active Member

I've used marine resin/fiberglass but its so expensive do you guys think bathtub epoxy paint like the one pictured would work/be safe?

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to check the chemicals it contains and whether it`s safe when completely dry.

3. commander1337

commander1337 Active Member

Tried looking it up but couldnt find much i figure if its a product for a bathtub it has to be safe for human skin contact after curing but im not positive

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Contact the company. Rustoleum does have some safe products but I'm not sure on this one.
    One point though is that aerosol sprays make a very thin coating and you would need quite a few to build up a waterproof layer.

5. dp428

dp428 Established Member

I really like to recommend shellac for waterproofing the wood, if you put on like 2-3 coats it is completely organic. it is made from bugs that almost act like a sap on trees its is completely harmless. My Savannah has been living in there with for a year now and he has had no issues at all.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

One thing I'm certain of is Shellac is not completely organic. It is mixed with ethanol and methanol. If it was just 100% shellac from the insects it would not cure and dry hard.
    It would be one of those products I would steer away from for an enclosed habitat. I'm not saying it's not safe, just that there's safer products.

murrindindi likes this.
  7. Pmaynard69

Pmaynard69 New Member

No one figured out the best to use :( I'm doing a ball option cage and am wondering g the same thing.

8. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I would lay down linoleum, it helps to cover the area, after that take a non toxic silicon and fill in all the edges and where you staple it down.

9. Pmaynard69

Pmaynard69 New Member

Never thougot of that thanks

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You still need to seal the wood. The standard product is minwax polycrylic. Even if you put down linoleum, if there is a scratch and it gets punctured your wood will decay.

11. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I would keep a extra tube of non toxic silicon for the holes made in the linoleum, thanks Merlin I did not think about that.

12. Pond shield?