This Disappears When Logged In

Scorpion Q's

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by MadDog, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I am about to be getting an emperor scorpion colony to go in my 30 long aquarium (12 1/2"w x 36"L x 19 1/2"t). To start out with, how many can I comfortably put in there? Also, once I get it on a stand I won't be able to reach down in to spot clean or handle them. If I was to use something light weight like coco fiber or that recycled clumped newspaper stuff to build the level closer up to the top, about 10-12" including the main substrate, would this cause humidity problems? Last but not least, could I use a ceramic heater instead of an aquarium under heater? Thanks a lot.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi, good luck with your breeding, I thought about breeding my female, but decided I wouldn't know what to do once the babies were big enough, by then I'd be too attatched and want them all LOL
    Coco fiber will be fine,( I wouldn't go with recycled newspaper as it will mold with the high humididty levels) a good depth of 3-6 inches would be ideal, they do like to burrow if they don't find your other hides to their liking, mine can usually be found under her water dish. Humidity won't be a problem as long as you keep it between 60% and 80% remember that they come from the tropical rainforests of Western Africa and spend most of the daylight hours under the leaf litter on the forest floor. For the ceramic heater, are you talking about a heat emitter? if so it would work fine, I don't use and undertank heater as I believe they burrow to get away from the heat.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Re: Scorpion Pics.

Ok, well I have two emperor scorps now. I believe one is a female (big one) and one is a male (tiny one). I have their cage set up and they are in it. I am having one problem though. Their humidity during the day time is going as low as 38%. I used a sprayer to mist the hot side, which stayed around 82-85 degrees, but the humidity didn't raise much. I have my hygrometer close to the top of the screen lid. Cold this be an issue with the readings? Right now it is at 65% and my temp is at 76.7 with the light off of course. One last Q, when I feed them do I need to just throw some crickets in or do I need to feed them with the forceps due to the tank? I used the forceps to feed them when they first got in their tank and they took the cricks from me. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you have a screen top cover it everywhere but where the lights/heat are. You're losing all your humidity out the top.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I would add some more hiding places in there, maybe some fake plants/leaves for them to hide under. Some Sphagnum moss you aid in bumping up hummidity, keep it moist. I agree with covering the top except where your heat emitter would be, a piece of plexi glass or even a towel would work, just keep it away from the heat !!
    Personally my hygrometer and thermometers are closer to the lower middle of the tank, the Scorpions don't hang out at the top, better to get it in a range of where they are at.

And also, just because your little one is small, that doesn't mean it's a male, could be just a young female, the only sure way to tell is to put them into a glass or clear plastic container, look at their pectines ( looks like a feather on each side) the males are larger, females are smaller. Here is a picture:
    AQUA-TERRA-VITA: Sexing Emperor Scorpions (Pandinus imperator)

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks I'll have to do that. Quick questions. They haven't came out of their hides any since the first day. Is this normal, since they are trying to get use to their enclosure or is this a sign of underlying problems? Also should I place crickets in with them even though they are not exploring?

7. Ravenous

Ravenous Active Member

Hi!!! :)

It is natural for them to hide, especially during daylight hours as they are nocturnal & prefer moving around during the night. I also suggest feeding at night to replicate the conditions under which scorpions would naturally feed. Adult scorpions only need between 3 to 6 adult crickets a week. Either way of feeding with forceps or by just placing the cricket/s in the enclosure should be adequate. Whichever is most effective for you. Just be sure that you witness them feeding if the crickets do roam free. Just to be safe. ;)

Hope this helps!!

8. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks. I haven't seen them exploring during the night any either. I stay up late and check periodically. Will their curiosity grow as they settle in? Also, will it stress them out if I move their hides to feed them if I don't see them out and exploring?

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I would just let them be, they will take some time to get used to their new home, when they are ready they will come out.

I would offer a few crickets, if they don't come out to eat, then remove the crickets, but leave them in there long enough to let the scorpions feel comfortable enough to come out.
    Observe from a few feet away, scorpions are very sensitive to vibrations, and movement around their enclosure, with just your presence could set them to hiding.
    I have never used any tools to feed my scorpion, just put the crickets in there and observed.

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I know I added thanks to the bottom of the posts, but I want to take the time to personally thank every one for putting up with all my questions. I know I have a lot of them and anyone could easily get annoyed, but yall just come in with open arms to help. It means a lot to me. Now on to my usual self. Do I need to check the empty hides for cricket hideaways?

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

you are more than welcome, we all come here for the same reason, we want whats best for our critters. we all have questions, and hopefully we can answer someone elses in return.
    I leave crickets in overnight, as scorpions are nocturnal and thus feed at night, and remove them in the morning before going off to work., (if theres any left)

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Just a curiousity question. How often do see your emps and how big are they? How many crickets should I put in over night for two and how often do you feed yours? I read that three times a week with one cricket per scorpion was a good feeding schedual. Thanks again for the help.

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I see mine everyday, I mist the cage 2 times a day to keep the humidity right, I throw in 3 crickets for each one,every other day the larger one is 6 inches( have had for 1 yr.) she usually eats every thing I throw in., smaller is about 4 inches(just got it yesterday) I am thinking both are female, but not too certain about the new one yet

14. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I think they are finally starting to settle in more now. They have been looking out of there hides for the past hour or so just checking things out. When I walked up to the tank to look at them, they didn't seem to react to my presence much. I am finally seeing them.

I do have one question on night temps. Umm, the night temps with the light off is at around 72 degrees every night. Do I need to bring it up any or is this ok?

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I think it's ok, mine are room temp at night, the ambient air in here is low 70's, they don't seem to mind it, has been this way for over a year now, and I have had no problems thus far.

I picked up another on Friday, and I have yet to see it out and about, where the one I have had for over a year, comes out and searches from about 5pm and on, sure sign that she is in hunting mode, threw in a few crickets and they were gone within 15 minutes...great eater! I tried a pinkie mouse with her for the first time, she would have nothing to do with it LOL I think it scared her.

16. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

If I was her size it would scare me too. LOL I am going to petsmart this coming week and I am going to get a low wattage infrared bulb for night viewing. Right now I am having to quickly turn on my light, look, and turn them off to see them.

17. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Just pick up a black light,they glow really neatly under them, don't leave it on for extended periods, just for your viewing time, I turn mine on for about an hour 3-4 times a week, scorpions don't need UV lighting.

18. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

I read that blacklights can have some bad side effects on scorpions, so I just use the blue moon glow bulbs by exoterra but that's just me. Also as far as feeding goes for me Ill throw in 3 or 4 crixs and leave a soda cap filled with cricket food so the crickets have something to eat and leave them open to attack by my scorpion. Then once a week Ill use tongs to feed my scorpion, he'll normally eat 3 to 4 crixs.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just to clarify a point. The "Glow in the dark", party poster blacklights that are being discussed are NOT the type of UV lighting that some animals need and can in fact be injurious if left on them too long.

20. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

"don't leave it on for extended periods, just for your viewing time,"

hence why I made the previous statement,to clarify, I do not use this for daily use, just for some night time viewing here and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.