This Disappears When Logged In

Saving Poop

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by schlegelbagel, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, it's a poop thread.

I need to take a sample into the vet from Queso, to see if the meds did their job. Of course he pooped last night and I can't get the sample in until tomorrow morning when they open.

What is the best way to store the poop until then? Or do I just have to wait for the next one?

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Empty plastic container with a lid (such as margarine) is what we always suggested at the Vet's! Refrigerate of course (and it is your choice to mark it or not- could leave it for Todd to find a yummy surprise!).

3. schlegelbagel

To fridge or not to fridge, that was the question. I'll stick to a ziplock bag me-thinks.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need to keep it refrigerated, but not frozen.

5. schlegelbagel

Ran out of ziplocks. Its in a little tiny tupperware in the fridge. Off to the vet tomorrow at 8:00 am.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I always save the containers of worms from the pet store and wash them. It's perfect to take in a sample,lol.
    :)
    Fridge is best.lol

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep, vet told me to keep it in the fridge.

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted. We'll be sending positive thoughts for Queso!

8. schlegelbagel

GREAT NEWS! We are parasite free. First thing tomorrow is a brand new brick of coconut substrate! WOOOOO HOOOO

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's AWESOME Liz! Always great to hear a favorable report from the Doctor( Vet or human either one)

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations!!! Queso will probably be just as happy as you are when he gets his new coco-substrate

He'll probably bury himself really really good and deep! (and hope you don't find him) :)

11. Ace

Ace Elite Member

YEAH! Awesome! Great to hear!

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Good to hear :)

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is wonderful news! If it is not too late, can you snap some more pics of him for us before he disappears again.:)

14. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I got on too late to say to put it in the fridge, but I'm very glad there are no parasites! Always good news :)

15. schlegelbagel

For right now, he'll only get as much substrate so when his bottom hits the glass, his eyes will be poking out. Once he's good and still eating well with that, he'll get enough to totally go under. :) I'll snap a photo tonight.

16. schlegelbagel

UGH! Apparently no news WASN'T good news. They never ran the fecal on Monday and called me back last night. He still has pinworms, although not in the levels he had before. 4 more weeks of medication!!! UGH. He will NOT be a happy camper. Paper towel for another month.

Panacur

.04 cc day one
    .04 cc day 14
    .04 cc day 28

FUN!

Now this gets me wondering.... Queso ate some of Steph's roaches. Stephs girl has pinworms too... Coincidence? I guess I'd have to get Henry's poop tested to find out, since Henry is the only other one of mine to eat the roaches.

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is a good question about the food that were shared.

I am sorry for the bad news.:(

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the roaches are the source of the infection it's a good bet that both have them.

19. schlegelbagel

But the thing is, Queso didn't have the roaches until AFTER his last dose of medication. So that would mean he was clean... then not.

Henry poops only once every two weeks or so (no idea why) and its usually MASSIVE and in the water. I'm not sure how reliable a water poop would be.

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I had the same problem with forest who kept on pooping in his water when I wanted a sample for the vet. The vet said that if it is solid and saved immediately then he will be able to test it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.