This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitors... At Petco >.<

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by alpine, Oct 13, 2012.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

So I went to my local petco because my brother was buying some feeders for the leopard geckos... And we went down by the lizard sections, which is where they keep their feeders and I was looking through the reptiles (as I always do) and What do I see but a freaking Savannah Monitor?... So I looked at what they had listed under care and I was astonished.... It is the same as this link here:
    Savannah Monitor at PETCO

At the very least they didn't give information on the set ups for living (because likely they would have messed that up... or scared away would be buyers) but this guy was pretty large, and he was just hiding under the one half log that they had in there... He looked so sad..... And on that note, I can't stand petco.

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

that care sheet is contradictory anyway.

We all know if followed, the 10 year plus lifespan they advertise will never happen.

3. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I know that... Which is why I don't like it... I mean they are selling this animal and they don't even have the proper care sheets or anything. I wish I had asked for information at the store to see what I was told but I didn't even think about it when I went there and saw it. I was too busy being annoyed that they had the poor little guy.

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's every pet store ever though. All pet stores excepting a small minority sell savannah monitors with misinformation.

5. alpine

alpine Elite Member

unfortunately... Though I think that petco and petsmart are some of the chief offenders... Especially because it is the same with a lot of the animals that they offer.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You think they are the worst because they are the largest pet chains but honestly some of the people owned stores are a whole lot worse.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats because if they were truthful about what the animal REALLY needs,...
    no one would buy them!

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

You mean my sav wont be puppy dog tame?? I'm kidding of course, I love her the way she is :)

It's not just sav's that have bad advice/caresheets. When I bought my beardie they told me to give him 7 crickets a day. I have no idea who or how they came up with that number... I wish more people would research, research, research and research!!!

9. MizzCracker88

MizzCracker88 Elite Member

thats the way up here in NJ where i got my leo from, they told me i HAD to use sand and all this other crap which was NOT the case, i learned alot more from here then them. They couldnt even tell me what size cricket to feed. They have a variety of reptiles and monitors are there also as well as tokay's, golden's, marbled, WD, Beardies and more. When i got my lil guy hes was hiding in a hide with a blizzard :( but i think its these places arent good with reptiles.

10. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I know it is a matter of the store and the area etc. But in my area Petco and Petsmart ARE the chief offenders. There are a lot of them and there is only one Petsmart that I don't mind particular. A lot of my mom and pop pet shops in my area are better though... The ones that want to compete with petco and petsmart anyway... The only one is about 8 miles from my house (which is great unless you have to walk) but it is holding its own right across the street from a petsmart, they take great care of their animals and they don't carry things that are insanely difficult to keep and their care sheets are accurate and easy to understand.