This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Herp Habitat Construction' started by nickyish, Sep 18, 2018.

1. nickyish

nickyish New Member

Hi I have been looking into getting a Savannah monitor for quite some time now. After all my research I have determined what I need but I am still confused with some things. My questions are, How do I build my enclosure (8'L 4'W 4'H)? Do i use plywood and some sealant? Do i used Plexiglass as a way to see in? I am really not sure... Also, What substrate should I use? I keep seeing people saying a mixture of sand and soil but I don't know which soil to use as i don't know of any brands that sell completely organic soil. Thanks for your time!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, I don't know you the least little bit but even if you were my brother I would first give you this advice.
    Do not get a Savannah monitor. I would push you towards a dwarf monitor species instead.
    But it is up to you of course and we'll still answer your questions.

Most definitely use plywood and seal it. Silicone any corners to keep water out.
    Tempered glass is what you want, plexiglass will scratch beyond imagination from the nails.
    I don't know where you're located but digging up and hauling your 500lbs+ of dirt is your best bet. A landscape yard might also get you what you need.
    It's much easier to find a naturally occurring dirt that hold burrows than try to invent it yourself in such a large quantity.

3. nickyish

nickyish New Member

Ok thanks for your help! May I ask why you recommend a dwarf monitor species instead of a Savannah monitor? And what dwarf monitor species would you recommend. Thanks!

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know your reptile experiences. Savannahs are a real draw for people as they are fairly to cheap to buy. I'm sure you already know that the adult enclosure is going to cost you quite a bit. Two feet of dirt in there is a lot of weight, so it must be constructed very sturdy and should be in the basement as no wood floor would hold it's weight.
    Simply they are just not what people think it is as a purchase.

Enter the Dwarf monitors. There are many species that are a thrill to keep. Ackies (v.acanthurus) are probably the most popular. Kim's (v.glauertis) are so beautiful and graceful.
    I've kept two species of dwarf's and they are great. The only difference is they are easier to keep because of their smaller enclosure requirements. But attitude and personality is that just like a large monitor.

Up to you in the end. You're probably 90 % ahead of most already knowing you need a big-azz enclosure for a Sav.

jonathan.piazza91 likes this.
  5. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with kriminaal to reconsider a different monitor species. Savs are amazing monitors, but not easy to keep despite being passed off as such. They take a huge amount of space and dedication.

I also agree that a smaller species is a better choice. Don't worry that you'd be passing up the whole monitor 'experience' just because of their size. They act every bit the part of being the lizard kings...they have just as much balls as the big ones.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm just going to say I agree with them, you will likely have a better experience with the Ackies, or another dwarf species, then you would with a sav, especially if your a bit light on reptile experience.