This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by T-Rection, Jun 9, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

2 days about i finally went and bought my baby savannah, he is about 7 inches long. Im saying "he" for now as the reptile guy i bought him from suspects him to be a "him" (larger in general then his siblings, longer head, thicker tail and 2 long bumps down the base of the tail by the vent)

I was hoping for someone to let me know how i am doing so i know im doing everything right with him, as i dont want any issues.

His enclosure is 9x4x4, fully water sealed with 2 feet of sub (dirt/playsand mix). The hot spot is reading 58c and the cold side is 25c, humidity on the hot side is 12% and the cold end is 98%.
    I have been feeding him crickets dusted with calcium/d3 as many as he wants within 10 minutes just to get a good sense of how much he tends to eat ( so far he fills up on 6-8) and i have fresh water for him at all times. So far he has dug a hole near the hot spot and doesn't come out of it unless i take him out to check on him (kinda scares me when he doesn't come out all day to bask or anything but im assuming he is getting used to the new tank?)

20180608_143952.jpg 20180608_144001.jpg IMG_20180608_150844_182.jpg

Lori68 likes this.
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`ve done a great job with the build, but you need to add much more cover around the basking site especially. Forcibly removing the monitor from a hiding place is extremely stressful for it, you need to leave food/fresh water and nothing else for the time being. How are you measuring the humidity, 12% seems extremely low?

3. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

ok sounds good ill add more bushes and hides in there and leave him alone for the time being, as for the humidity im using those thermometer/hydrometer all in one things, its saying 12% only in the hot spot, the rest of the tank is at 98% humidity

Edit, i have a feeling it may be a little off in hte hot spot and the heat is throwing it off cuz even in the hot spot it feels very humid in there

4. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

I also had a question about ventilation, the sliding glass isnt air tight or anything but im wondering if i should add some small vents to both sides of the tank around the sub level, should i?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can`t see too clearly, but I get the impression the UVB tube is on the opposite side to the basking site, if that`s the case it needs to be close to the basking area so the monitor gets the benefit of the heat and UVB at the same time.
    If you do add a vent make it adjustable and yes, close to the substrate level.

6. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

thankfully the UVB lighting is in the middle of the tank spreading a decent area around the whole thing, i have LED lighting on the cold side just to make it a bit brighter. as for the vent, do you think it is needed on this tank or can i do without it? now that everything is in, it would be pretty messy to install them now, so if i dont actually need them i wont do it.

7. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

As for the shyness right now, can the fact that he is hiding all day and not even coming out to bask after feeding cause digestive/health issues?

I was also wondering if i should get a heat bulb for night time or if my night temps are ok, my room stays at around 24-25c

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think moving the log to around the basking site would be a far better position (more cover) the UVB tube needs to be close to the halogens (running alongside them) even though these modifications will cause some stress in the short term because you`ll be "invading" it`s home again, much more beneficial for the monitor in the long run.
    If the humidity range and temps are within the recommended limits you don`t need a vent.
    One reason the monitor is staying hidden is because you`re forcibly removing it from it`s secure retreat, if it doesn`t feel safe there it won`t feel safe out in the open (including the basking area). It`s all about allowing as much time as necessary for the animal to fully acclimate to the enclosure before any interaction at all can take place.
    If the room temps don`t fall below approx. 72f you shouldn`t need extra heat during the night. So long as there are cooler, darker areas to retreat to you might consider leaving the heat/lighting on 24/7 for the time being, that will allow the monitor to be active at any time.
    Making the changes I`m suggesting should help.
    Once the UVB is in repositioned you shouldn`t be using supplementary D3.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    T-Rection likes this.
  9. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Awesome thank you so much for the help, ill move the uvb light closer to the basking site and im going today to buy more hides and plants, ill try to refrain from even opening the enclosure unless im dropping in some crickets and adding fresh water for the next few weeks, thanks again you have been a huge help!

10. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Just a quick update and hoping this is still normal. its been about 5 days, I have not tried to hold him or even open his enclosure aside from food and water but he still doesnt leave his borrow not even to bask. I managed to make him chase a cricket out into the open so i got a chance to look at him and he looks in good health, but the moment he caught the cricket he immediately went back into his borrow and still refuses to come out. I can see his head peaking out every few hours but thats pretty much it. Is this normal? is he still just getting used to the new tank?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It can take many weeks for them to acclimate to the enclosure, so the behaviour is normal. Did you manage to make the adjustments I suggested; moving the UVB tube and placing the large log close to the basking site to offer more cover in that area, also leaving the heat/lighting on 24/7 for the time being (allowing the monitor to be active at any time) ?

T-Rection likes this.
  12. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

I moved the uvb over to the hot spot but i didnt move the log, i just ended up buying more and placed them around the hot spot instead. As for the lighting ill probably have to stick with the normal day and night cycle cuz the tank is in my bedroom