This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Personality

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Jacob1750, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

Thanks for the info. I would like to know some taming techniques for a Sav. I know that I have to be patient and hissing and tailwhips are expected.

2. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

To tame a Sav.....

Be hands off and earn it's trust. They will come to you if and when they decide they want to be handled.

3. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Just to add to this ( hope you don't mind! :))

try this for info as well>
    The Savannah Monitor, Varanus exanthematicus

4. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

Okay say I have everything worked out and get one, when should I expect him to start feeding after I bring him home?

5. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

These are animals that can be fed everyday as juveniles. You can offer food in a tray at once or toss in a couple crickets/roaches. They will either eat or hide and eat when they are comfortable. I would keep the tongs away for a bit lol

The site MDFMonitor suggested is a great site you can follow. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

6. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Both Isis and Baku started eating the first time they saw crickets :p

Monitors are notorious eaters. As long as the climate is right and you let them do what they're going to do, they should begin eating almost instantly.

HOWEVER! It also depends strongly on how they are kept before you aquire them. I could've been lucky with my monitors. Make sure to ask as many questions as you can think of; eating frequency, diet, enclosure set-up, etc. The only stupid questions are the ones never asked!

7. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

Thanks a lot. All of you seem to really know your stuff when it comes to these lizards. I have some experience with beardies and a lot of experience with snakes(balls, burms, rainbows, and tree boas). So if you guys ever have any questions about those things I would be happy to return the favor.

Jake

8. FervidBrutality

It's no problem! Most everyone in this community is more than happy to help. I think everyone would agree that we'd rather everyone know what they're doing before jumping in on a new pet - especially monitors!

I, sadly, only had Isis a year before she passed away but I learned a lot of her. The best teacher is experience. Just get the good groundwork laid and there's no telling what you may get out of your scaly friend.

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

When asking them questions keep in mind they are sales people and are going to tell you what you want to hear.

10. FervidBrutality

Indeed! Repeat questions and look for inconsistencies.

11. mama

mama New Member

Savannahs are all unique and different. Mine for example is wrapped in his blanket sleeping on my lap as I type this. He is very tame and sweet with me and will let me take him anywhere. . He's like my little baby lol. However with other people he is shy and doesn't like when people hold him. My friends savannah on the other hand is very aggressive and will hiss, whips and try to bite at anything and everything any chance he gets. Of course a lot will have to do on how you take care of him and how your bond develops with it

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I don't fully agree with you on they are all unique and different. They all need food, water, heat, and security/shelter. With out any single one for too long can cause death.

I don't know you mama, but I imagine that if your Sav calmly lays in your lap in a blanket it is because it is cold and that is the warmest offering. That or it has given up the fight.. Being taken along "anywhere" would be extremely stressful.

Can I ask you how your monitors enclosure is set up? How long have you had your monitor?

13. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

She meant that the personalities are all different and unique, not their needs...

14. FervidBrutality

Dont keep them out of their enclosure for more than about 10-15 minutes, or they'll get cold and lethargic.

There is a difference between tame and cold.
    The term 'tame' when it comes to monitors, means that there is an understanding that you aren't a threat. It will never mean they see you as a 'master' like a dog would.
    'Cold' symptoms are just seeming downright lazy and relatively less alert.

15. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I knew she didn't mean their needs. How she described her monitors personality led me to believe it's needs probably aren't being met. Thank you digging up a dead thread to call me out.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Clarifying a muddy point is not calling anyone out.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I see things on the monitor forum haven`t changed much since my last visit!! ;)

18. Maranda

Maranda New Member

From reading these our sav is an odd one. Mine loves to be held. I give her kisses on her head. She is a sweet baby that I can currently walk around the house with her attached to my shirt. She is still little but she is a sweetheart. Takes time and effort but maybe ours isn't normal. Just my personal experience. I have owned 6 different types of reptiles currently have 4 different and she is the sweetest of all. She was a hissy bity jerk when we first got her. Ours calmed down in less than a months time. I'm basically an idiot, I do not advise giving kisses to something that will bite your lip off. Lol

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the thread is 7 years old.... They do not "love to be held", and removing them from their controlled environment" for too long can have a very detrimental effect on health.
    Can you give some details of how you keep the monitor and include some recent photos of the whole enclosure (if possible start a new thread of your own). Thanks!