This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Personality

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Jacob1750, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

I am just looking for some stories from experienced monitor owners to help me better understand the behavior of the savannah monitor. I am planning on getting one in the near future and I would just like to be aware of any surprises that I should expect when owning one. I am aware of the needs and requirements of housing, food, etc. Any insight from a monitor owner, preferably one who owns a sav. monitor, would be amazing.

Jake

2. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Mine is basically a big ole terror who snaps, hisses, tail whips, etc at me unless I have food for him lol

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I don't know what surprises you are looking for.

All surprises are going to be from how much you put into it. If you have a mentally stimulating cage they are going to be more active. Surprise!
    If you put into your husbandry you will have burrowing. Surprise!
    Even with just one you could be lucky enough to get eggs that are possibly fertile(or not). Surprise!
    or if you didn't put in the work it could kill them. Surprise!
    If you properly socialize them to you, you can interact with them and some will take to a bit of training. Surprise!

All about how much you put in.
    Surprise us. :p

4. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

Haha thanks

5. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

LOL I know the feeling my female went through about a month of moodiness where she was whipping me and leaving welts whenever I would try to go near her. There all different so who knows what surprises you have in store. I can guarantee you housing can be challenging, feeding one is expensive mostly because of the amount of insects they eat. My girl went through 700 dubias in about two weks she is over 3 feet long so you can imagine how much she eats. I think it depends what you are looking for if you want something that can free roam and be pretty docile a tegu is a better choice.

6. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

What are you looking for in a lizard??

7. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

I would like a large lizard, one who has a reasonable temperament. Feeding and housing expenses will not be a problem. I already have a large custom cage and a colony of roaches. I would like to have a lizard that I can do some handling with also.

8. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Main issue with monitors is that they are unpredictable, most savs are "ok" with handling but mine is not cool with it at all and no matter how much I try to make him more handle-able he has none of it

9. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Look into Tegus. They get just as big if not bigger than Savs and take to handling alot better. What size is the cage you have?

10. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Dont Savs eat shellfish to? I had a friend that would feed his crayfish and shrimp in addition to roaches.

11. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

My cage is 8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 6 feet tall. I had a very large burm. python in there but he passed from old age. I'd like to reuse the cage if you think the size is adequate .

12. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Yeah Savs love Crawfish

13. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Cage size is good. How much sand/soil can you put in the cage.

14. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

I could get two maybe two and a half feet in the bottom.

15. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Sounds like the cage is the right size.

16. Jacob1750

Jacob1750 Member

Okay awesome. What would be the difference between a sav and a tegu? I've actually heard that tegus had a bad temper like a Nile monitor would??

17. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Most tegus are CBB and Savs are WC. Register over at tegutalk.com and you can see some awesome, puppy dog tame tegus.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also have to realize that there are more then one kind of tegu. The most commonly seen are the black and whites. But even there there are two species. The Colombian and the Argentine. Argentines are the one that people usually see that are so tame. And therefore they are also more expensive.
    Columibians are more prone to biting and not taming down. Some have done it . But if you want to get to that puppy dog tame point, go with the argentine.

19. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

My tegus are much more social with me than my savannah. If you want alizard that mellows out much more look into a B&W argentine tegu.

20. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

It generally depends on the individual monitor and the handling techniques. I had a Sav that was typically social with other people and only a little squirmy at times. She was very active and inquisitive of her enclosure and wherever else she would find herself. On the other hand, I know a number of people whi have Savs that hiss and prepare a tailwhip at the sight of people.

I handled Isis very regularly, but never forcefully.