This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dbld420, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dbld420

Dbld420 Well-Known Member

He only has 2 claws on his front. Should I worry about him f
    Falling? Or will he be fine.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can fix them at an angle so they are easy to climb on, it`s really only about making use of the above ground space in order to keep the monitor as active as possible.

Dbld420 and TamJam like this.
  3. Dbld420

How big of frozen feeder mice should I get. Thinking of starting to feed him them, once or twice a month?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You should stick mainly to invert prey, but if you want to feed the occasional mouse use the small adult size or alternatively a rat pup.
    Edit: The most important consideration is that you only feed as much energy as the monitor uses (which in captivity can be minimal) they are prone to storing large fat bodies which they cannot make use of and that usually has a very detrimental effect on their health.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. Dbld420

Ok thank u

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is he acclimating to the new enclosure and is he basking, eating, defaecating etc, regularly?

7. Dbld420

Yes. I got him on 10 to 10 timers. He won't stop eating. And yes deficating daily, for some reason he doesn't do it in the tub I have him. He does it in the corner... Should I put a dish in that spot? I'l take a pic of the new plants once the light goes on.

8. Dbld420

Also my basking temps are 145ish. Is that too hit for his size? Sometime I find him laying in the middle of his enclosure (I do have a 150watt heat bulb) in the middle, or sometimes just slightly out of the basking spot. Is that normal?

9. Dbld420

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What type is the 150w basking bulb?
    To answer the other question: He can defaecate anywhere in the enclosure, and it`s quite normal to do it on the substrate. so no need to put a dish there. I cannot see a basking object, where is it, and what are the lights on the top left of the photo, do you still have some screen?

11. Dbld420

That is the temp and humidity gauges in the back left corner. The black is a 100 watt heat lamp that goes on when the others shut off. And the middle one I believe is a zilla 150 watt. Those are 45 watt halogen par38 bulbs. And 3 ceramic tiles. No screen anymore. Their all on hooks. 1511382074142-41816167.jpg

murrindindi likes this.
  12. Dbld420

Those lights u see in the first pic have nothing to do with the cage... someone just pointed that out to me. It' a closed enclosure.

murrindindi likes this.
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you turn off the 150w bulb what ambient (air) temps do you get in the cooler parts?

14. Dbld420

And just leave the 3 45 on? Iv never tried it. It stays around 83 with it on.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You basically need to know the basking surface temp (approx 120 to 140f) then the lowest ambient in the coolest parts which should be around 75f (day or night).
    Do you have any supplementary lighting such as a fluorescent tube (not necessarily UVB) because if you do turn off the 150 bulb it might be too dark?

16. Dbld420

I have a tube uvb tube by the three basking lights, and a condesnt uvb bulb in the center... I turned off the 150 watt today. It was 75 coldest side. Also the humidity had risen to 94% is that too high?

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know what a"condesnt" UVB is, are you referring to a mercury vapour bulb, and can you tell me what brand it is?
    Have you checked the temps below ground (you should do)?

18. Dbld420

No. And its a uvb bulb. Im not home but I think it's a eco terra canopy bulb.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never heard of a "canopy" bulb, do you have the box it came in or can you link me to the product?

20. Dbld420

Sorry not that other pic. It's this one. Screenshot_20171126-163338.png