This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dbld420, Oct 3, 2017.

1. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

First of all, he's lethargic because he is stressed and his conditions aren't fully supportive. That enclosure is far to small. So by getting him out, and letting him explore, you are causing him more stress at this point just making things worse.... I wouldn't even take him to the vet again honestly because anyone on here will tell you the problem is his enclosure. And another vet visit will just stress him out more.
    Just leave him alone and give him as much cover in his enclosure as possible and get that larger enclosure asap.
    What is his diet like? Is he eating?
    Also not sure what you mean by the greenish tint, they are naturally green?

2. Dbld420

Dbld420 Well-Known Member

Did u read the prior posts before just reading that one... that comment wasn't directed towards u, but I appreciate ur thoughts.

3. AmityReptiles

I did read everything, I've actually been following this convo since we talked earlier in this post. My comment still stands... Did I say something confusing? I apologize if something wasn't very clear.

Dbld420 likes this.
  4. Dbld420

I just realized that from going back. My apologize

5. Dbld420

He had mucous coming out his nose this morning. That's why I'm at the vet. Was told it's a r.i but want to make sure.

6. AmityReptiles

Gotcha, hope he feels better... might be something he caught before you got him. The heat and humidity should definitely help now that they are in the right ranges. Just make sure it doesn't get super cold at night. I've recently had to make some adjustments for my sav for winter.

Dbld420 likes this.
  7. Dbld420

I got him on antibiotics. Temps and humidity are 55 - 65 humidity. 85 ambient in day 77 at night. And basking ranges from 122 to 138 directly under the light beam.

8. Dbld420

He' doing much better. Hes eating and much more active. Im building his enclosure.. if I have treated wood. Do i need somehing on the floor and up the walls where the soil and wood meet?

9. AmityReptiles

Yes, FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) is usually recommended.

Dbld420 likes this.
  10. Dbld420

Is that just were the soil meets the wood.

11. Dbld420

I just finished building my new cage. 7x4x4. And I used pressure treated wood... I didn' even think of it but I read somewhere that it can kill him. Is this true? Or just some bs. If spent alot of money and time in this cage. The lights are just for drying purposes. 1510634125721-1129897970.jpg 1510634161749-1700559791.jpg

Dragonmum likes this.
  12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Watching and admiring your determination to help this little creature get the best possible life with you!

Dbld420 likes this.
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, treated timber is perfectly safe to use once dry.

Dbld420 likes this.
  14. Dbld420

Thank u for the reassurance. I was stressing. Lol

15. Dbld420

So it' all built. How long should I let him aclimate to his new enclosure until I go back to regular?

16. Dbld420

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It all depends on the monitor as to how long it takes it to feel secure in the new surroundings. If it`s active, basking and eating normally that is the main thing. I would install some sturdy branches/logs to allow the animal to use as much of the above ground space as possible, also more (plastic?) plants which create cover.

Dbld420 likes this.
  18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Personally I am not so sure. I do know that at one time, pressure treated lumber had the potential to leach copper as well as arsenic. I understand that the chemicals have been changed to something less toxic but the fact remains that pressure treated wood is forbidden to use in organic food crops and should not be disposed of by burning.

Too many chemicals for me to feel safe recommending it for enclosures.

Dbld420 likes this.
  19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can`t remember the article title, but an American government agency carried out tests on treated timber used in farms where animals were kept and housed, they found no significant risks to health once the treated surface was dried, even if the animal (in this case cow) licked the timber. I know Wayne Harvey ("Infernalis" ) has used it for a number of years in his monitor enclosure.

Dbld420 likes this.
  20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But with my luck I would get the one remaining batch of the old stuff.

Dbld420 likes this.