This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dbld420, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

I'm New to this, don't know how to post my own thread. I bought a tank 3 weeks ago, it had a savannah monitor in it. The person was just can take the lizard with him, but it he had no front claws, missing a bunch on the back. Now I know that he had stick shed for who knows how long. I kept the lizard as well because he was in bad shape. Hes doing good now. Things his toes are coming back (didn't know that could happen) now I'm hoping the claws will too. Hes very tame. The guy said he's a year old, but I don't think he's big enough, maybe just stunted growth... anyways. The reason I'm posting is he has started to when I let him run free, he comes back to me and is friendly, but he runs his head into my skin, as if he wants to burrow, and then opens his mouth. He nipped me one time because I wasn't paying attention, but he does it very slowly, not like he's attacking. Can anyone tell me what's going on, Will it stop, or a way to correct it. Thanks.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, toes cannot regrow, claws can if the root hasn`t been damaged.
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure (including the top) and give details of the conditions?

3. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

I'm building a 6x4x4 should be done less than month.

Attached Files:

4. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

5. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

130 basking 60 - 75% humidity. 85 - 90 temp

6. dp428

dp428 Established Member

good job covering up the top that will keep humidity and heat in. could you take more pictures of the Savannah itself so we can see from head to tail, underneath, individual feet, mouth and eyes.

Also do you notice and mucus coming out of the nose or anything like that?

Dbld420 likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the analogue gauges can be very inaccurate, which means you/we have no idea what the ambient temps and humidity range might really be? I believe you can buy a digital hygrometer from Lowes or Walmart for around $13, that is urgent. How are you measuring the basking surface temp and what type and wattage of heat bulbs are you using? A photo of the whole top might help.
    The toes will definitely not regrow as I mentioned.

8. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

I will when I take him out again. And no no mucus, I got a vet appointment tomorrow just to make sure all is good. Felt really bad for the little guy when I saw him.

9. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

Ok thank u. I'll head their today and update when I get back. I got a 150 watt and a 100 watt in his basking area.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How big is this fishtank, I think with that much wattage (heat) it might be too much, how are you measuring the basking surface temp?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The vet cannot do much until the conditions fully support the monitor, that`s the main priority at this time.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

13. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

Probably wrong. I laid the gauge on the rock. It's a 40gallon breeder

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Most keepers these days use par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs at the basking site (the "par" only refers to the bulb face diameter) you must use ceramic bulb holders, better to use 2 or 3 lower wattage so they cover the animal`s body as evenly as possible, I suggest using 50 or 60w.... Here`s an example, I need to use more because of my monitor`s size...
    100_1858.JPG 23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

15. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

I don't have the room to spread 3 out. Will 2 60 work? Until I get my bigger cage done

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know how big that is in inches or cm? You cannot measure the surface temp of an object accurately without a Temp-gun (very cheap but very accurate).

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Until you get the gauges and Temp gun we won`t know?

Dbld420 likes this.
  18. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

Why the ceramic bulb holders?

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Because cheap plastic sockets will melt from the heat.

AmityReptiles and Dbld420 like this.
  20. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

36 x 18 x 17 inches or roughly 91 x 45 x 43 cm