This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Enclosure Help

Discussion in 'Herp Habitat Construction' started by T-Rection, May 14, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Hi there, im hoping to get some information/help on a new enclosure i am making. I have been doing my research for the passed couple months and i am planning on getting a Savannah monitor. The enclosure i am building is going to be 9x4x4. But i would like to know some details about how people actually mount the lighting to the inside of the tank as well as what i should use for waterproofing/sealing the tank so the wood doesn't start to rot or anything like that. Any and all information is a huge help to me so i would really appropriate it (pictures would be great too) :)

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

T-Rection likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It won`t let me upload any photos, I think it`s the website here that`s the problem?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

5. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

that care sheet was really good i have bookmarked it thanks again :) , as far as the actual lighting goes how do people usually mount them from inside the tanks? is a small hole drilled for the cords to go through and then the lights are left hanging or are they screwed into the wood itself? also what type of light fixture would i have to get to withstand the heat of the bulbs? (i usually just use the big lamps with ceramic made for reptiles so i have never done this myself)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

100_1587 (1).JPG I hang them loose from the ceiling which means you have more adjustment, but depending on enclosure height you can also fix them to the top, in which case you will probably need to adjust the basking object`s height and/or wattage, always use ceramic bulb fixtures.
    Most experienced keepers use par 30 or par 38 halogen bulbs (must be flood beam) these can be fitted with a dimmer switch for easily adjusting the surface temp or as stated raise/lower bulb/s basking object.
    I need to use more bulbs because of my monitor`s size, I made the box to stop him knocking them together..... The idea is to evenly heat at least the SV (snout to vent) length of the animal. To add; the box is hanging on chains so I can easily adjust the height.. 100_1586.JPG 100_1858.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    T-Rection likes this.
  7. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Awesome thank you very much :)

murrindindi likes this.
  8. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

czj51wT.jpg

Will these work?

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

They would except the wattage is much too low. Try around 70-80 actual wattage. (Maybe more depending on the distance to the basking object)

T-Rection and murrindindi like this.
  10. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

ok thanks :) ill try these out cuz i already bought them but if its too low i can just return them and get the higher wattage ones

11. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Im not 100% sure what im supposed to use for waterproofing/sealing the tank, i went to lowes and picked up a can of this stuff

20180522_125403.jpg

This was just the cheapest kind they had but all the different brands and types of water sealant they had all say they are toxic, so i wasn't really sure if its ok to use or not. If this is ok to use i was planning on using it for only the lower half of the tank up to the substrate level and then sealing the top half with exterior pant, as well as sealing the joints and edges with silicon. would that be ok?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

For protecting below substrate level you can use FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic sheets) fibreglass resin paint/similar. I`m not familiar with the product you show, but often some types are perfectly safe once dry, I advise you contact the manufacturer or search online to see if it`s safe to use.

T-Rection likes this.
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry I didn`t notice they are par 38 so yes, they should be o.k, wattage will obviously depend on distance from basking site and recommended surface temp range.

T-Rection likes this.
  14. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Unfortunately what i bought wont be safe to use so ill be returning it today. Aside from the FRP and fiberglass resin, is there any other types of paint on products i can use for this? like a latex/exterior paint or a type of pond sealer or something? im not really sure myself. The way i built the interior frame makes me want to stick with something i can paint on, rather than the FRP, as it would be far easier than having to make multiple cuts to fit the FRP around the frame.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve personally never used pond liner but I know people that have with some succcess.

T-Rection likes this.
  16. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

The tank is pretty much complete, i still want to paint the exterior and still have to add the sliding glass doors at the front (will probably go with plexiglass for now as normal glass that isnt paper thin has been pretty hard for me to find) but im working on the wiring and lights right now and i was wondering if there is a specific placement for the lights that i need to follow? for example how far away from the walls they have to be, and how much space in between bulbs i have to leave?

Sorry for sounding so anal about this, i just like to make sure i have everything exactly how it needs to be :)