This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Custom Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by IAmXavierPee, May 26, 2014.

1. IAmXavierPee

IAmXavierPee Well-Known Member

I got an idea since my brother is leaving to the marines soon sadly.. But my idea is to make a 7 x4x4 cage but in two seperate pieces where the bottom 2 feet of the enclose will be a box 7 feet long 2 feet talk 4 feet wide and then to prevent cage rot I would put styrofoam on the inside and make a box of styrofoam to go inside it so I can fill it with dirt and bio active materials so I don't have to go out and but a plastic tub and waste more money and then the top would be a latch on removable top with a 7 foot long wooden door with glass so I can access my Savannah's tank. Any tips idea or anything?

2. IAmXavierPee

Or line the bottom half with a plastic material and silicone the cracks

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You need to use something that won't get tore up from the claws when digging.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah your savannah will just rip that styrofoam apart..... i would just use a waterproofer on the wood such as polycrylic and coat it with that......

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Polycrylic is fine for the top half but the bottom half would be destroyed just as quickly as using styrofoam.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the foam won't work at all, you need to apply a sealer or a layer of frp board and caulk the edges. The 2 part cage idea shoud be fine, just make sure that the point where the 2 halves join is well framed and screwed together. I would also point out that it will cost you nothing to make the cage 8' instead of 7', and more space is always better. Also keep in mind that the weight of the finished cage can easily exceed 2000lbs when you get the substrate in, so a cement or reinforced floor is usually necessary.

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I can hear my lizards scratching at the aluminum under the dirt. Soft material would be ruined quickly.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah as darkbird said, the cage will be extremely heavy so it has to be on a bottom floor or if a second floor you will need it to be against a low bearing wall with support beams or floor jacks to support the extra weight, so be sure to check your house blue-prints before placing it anywhere so it one day doesnt come crashing through the floor...

9. IAmXavierPee

I have it in my basement and it's all concrete down here lol. But I was thinking sheet metal but my issue was what if the sheet metal gets rusted and what not? I don't want any chemicals or oils or any of that in it. I was thinking 8 feet would be perfect it was just the space I have. I would make it 8 but I don't have enough space to go another foot.. It I was thinking of coating the styrofoam with concrete or something hard. at my work the A/C sit on a styrofoam palet that us covered with concrete or something like that it's light weight but it's also very durable and hard? I have no problem using sheet metal it's just the rusting that is my problem? I don't wanna mist the cage one day and have the sheet metal or anything to rust and contaminate anything. I have 2x4 that I would use to support the walls it's just the bottom half that has me stumped. And how could I see how to join the two halves together with any movement? Would I have to put a 2x4 in and out the cage on the same exact spots and screw them or what?

10. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Aluminum never rusts. steel would rot almost as quick as the wood, and is heavy.

if you have a scrap metal recycling yard nearby, go ask to purchase some old road signs.

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the styrofoam and concrete (people usually do this for the walls for decoration in smaller lizards cages who have smaller claws that cant rip through it) is useless unless it isnt tampered with, there was a building down where i was living and children used to throw rocks at it because the rocks will get stuck in the sides of it..... so i wouldnt advise it and the road signs thing i do not think would work...... you will need to go and buy a roll of sheet aluminum to do what you are talking about and then weld the seems between the sheets.....

12. IAmXavierPee

Well you see the sheet metal was just suppose to be a box to be inside a wooden box just to protect the wood. But that doesn't matter anymore because I am changing the whole setup to where I'm using plexiglass and normal glass. It will all have a base of wood. The plexiglass will be the sides and back while the glass will be the front view. There will be a glass top to prevent heat loses along with humidity. I am also placing a register on the inside lower part of the enclosure by cutting the plexi glass to put one in. The bottom is gonna be a stand with a sheet of hard aluminum or steel for support. Also humidity will not be a problem because i am connecting a humidifier (ones. You connect to a furnace) to put around 60-70% humidity and it will only go off if the humidity goes below 50 so there will be no problem with humidity. I will be using halogen flood lights too. When I start constructing it I will take pictures and put prices on how much it will cost to build your own without using wood and make something a little nicer.

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the problem with glass and plexiglass is it doesnt insulate very well and it will be hard to hold the heat, thats why most herpers go with a sealed wooden box with a glass front....