This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Losing a Lot of Weight

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Makeda, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Makeda

Makeda Active Member

So My Monitor is nearly 4 years old, he is still relatively young i have had him since he was a baby, about 4-5 inches in total length and kept proper care of him all throughout his life, proper heating temps, moisture levels, light cycles, you name it. he is three feet long and lives in a cage custom built which is 5x5x3h by me and my brother in law built and has for the past year and a half, his diet has been varied all his life between Insects (crickets mainly with some roaches) worms (dew, butter and silk which he prefers never has eaten super or meal) Shellfish (Prawns, Snails and Krill) with the occasional mouse maybe one every 2-3 weeks and a goldfish treat every 6months or so as i understand the complete lack of nutrition which they provide. nothing has changed in terms of temps, cage placement house temps, light hours, nothing.. and this past week he has dropped a considerable amount of weight. he has refused prawns and krill (he has never refused any food before this week) but gladly took a mouse tonight. he activity level has not decreased or increased that i have noticed and he is still able to climb up his rock to bask and pull himself up me to view behind (likes to sit with his head perched over my shoulder taking in all the sites) I'm just worried as to why he has suddenly refused to eat and more importantly why he has lost so much weight within a one week period? I'm going to go get worms tomorrow as thats when the store gets them in and hopefully he will accept them. but any insight or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you,
    Thom

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Hi Thom
    Giving your actual numbers maybe of more help. Is he getting cold overnight? You say he ate a mouse so can I assume that it is possible the drought is over? Seems to me you have two options wait it out and see what happens over the next week or so or take him to a vet. When reptiles change their habits like that something has either changed or something is wrong.

Randy

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It is very unusual to notice weight loss in a monitor so quickly.
    I would definitely get him checked out.

4. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

My experience of constant weight loss in my sav ended with bad news, so i would say get him checked out, the other side are you sure he's a he & has your monitor gradually increased weight over the last month, messed around with food going through food frenzies & then refusing food.

Then hiding away for a few days & then reappearing slimmer!!

just a thought! :) but a long shot.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that they do indeed need UVB!

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The only thing that I can add is to make a basking area where he doesn't have to climb to get to it. If he is sick, You need to make it as easy as possible to bask.