This Disappears When Logged In

Savanna Monitor Shaking

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by kozak, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozak

kozak Active Member

I need help or information right away.
    My Savanna Monitor is shaking throughout his whole body.
    I don't know why.
    I have had him 6 months about.
    He is around 2 feet.
    His arms, legs, everywhere, is shaking.
    I don't know what to do, there are no herp vets near me. :(

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

This sounds serious...could be MBD problems...what kind of lighting do you use...any UVB ?? How is he set up? temps, etc...what are you feeding? For a list of vets, try here http://www.herpvetconnection.com/ there may be one you can find ....

His condition does not sound promising...but try and find a vet soon....UVB lighting and maybe some calcium supps would help....good luck....Lyn

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. First thing that came to mind was MBD. This seriously needs addressing.

4. kozak

kozak Active Member

Thank you all very much for the help and input.
    I really appreciate it.
    My animals, are my life.
    No doubt about that.

Now, thing is, the petstore I have bought all my lizards at, DO NOT use UVB lights!!!
    I have a 12 inch UVB flourescent light on his 33 Gallon tank, as well as a heat lamp.
    The UVB light is a few months old now.
    I have heard they lose there power after awhile, and need to be replaced before they burn out.
    Is that true?
    I am going to get all brand new UVB lighting this comming Wednesday.
    He has stopped shaking majorly, but, his middle toes on each hind leg, still move a bit when he is sleeping.
    He isn't looking like he is seizuring though, it really had me scared and worried, I could barely sleep.
    Also, do Savanna Monitors, or Anole's, need anything other then UVB lights and heat lamps?
    I am also going to pick up calcium supplement.
    Sorry for all the questions, but I have one more thing to get off my back.
    My Savanna Monitor, will not eat any insects I offer him.
    He will only eat live mice, and a few meats, such as steak, chicken, and ground beef.
    The petstore said It was okay to feed those to him, but I am having second doubts as they aren't knowledgable at all.
    So, I thank you all for your help and input like I stated above.
    This truly is a nice knowledgable site, I plan on staying here. :)

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Along with the proper temperatures, feeding plays a key factor in the well being of the baby Blackthroats. Pro Exotics' diet consists of crickets, mealworms, feeder roaches, rodents, and thawed raw ground turkey. We supplement the food items with Miner-All nearly every feeding. Crickets or mealworms are offered 4 days a week, crawler mice (thawed) are offered once a week (typically two to three crawlers per animal), and turkey is offered once a week as well. We strongly encourage folks to feed meat no more than twice a week. Crickets should make up the bulk of a baby monitors diet, and the animal will grow terrifically if fed on supplemented crickets alone.

Meats are offered for additional protein and calories, but you must keep in mind that these are small babies, and as such have small digestive systems. Loading them down with too much meat will not only encourage compaction and digestion problems, but it will act like monitor steroids on these guys, and you will then have an aggressive terror on your hands. Many customers have called to ask about the aggressiveness of their new baby Ionides, and more often than not, it is the case that they simply enjoy watching their animal chase and eat the mice, and they have been feeding nearly an all meat diet. When switched back to a cricket based diet, these same animals return to their predictable, tractable selves, within a few weeks. Raise a terrific baby Ionides, not a holy terror, follow our recommended diet.

The big change many keepers insist on making is offering a "wide and varied diet". We consider the above mentioned diet to be plenty wide and plenty varied. The additional foods keepers feed to their monitors often come with an additional price. Wild caught food items typically harbor nasty parasites that your baby is not going to be equipped to handle. "Feeder goldfish" are some of the nastiest things available, you are not feeding an Oscar, you are feeding a captive lizard. Exotic foods like crayfish and crabs are not only expensive, but seasonal, and what exactly are you going to do when your new baby monitor gets hooked on food that costs $8 per pound or more and refuses to eat anything else? Did i ever tell you about the guy who got baby rabbits to feed his ball python to "celebrate" Easter? Why??!! This stuff happens. Too frequently. Play it smart, feed a steady, proven, inexpensive diet, and have a terrifically healthy monitor. i copied and pasted that from this caresheet:http://www.proexotics.com/care_ionides.html...hope that helps

6. herpguy

herpguy Member

I can relate to this...
    When I don't eat for a while I suddenly start to shake and I'm really tired. So maybe your monitor needs more food or something :confused:
    Make sure you have a UVA UVB light bulb, monitors need these to process calcium. In the wild they get it from the sun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.