This Disappears When Logged In

Sav On The Way

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Ahura, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Ok. So I have decided that I cannot obtain a captive bred northern blue tongue skink. It will cost me 300-400 dollars and that is a ridiculous amount of money.

I am most likely going to get a savannah monitor. I already have a 75 gallon temp. home (48''x24''x22''). I will be building a bigger enclosure in the future (6'x3'x2').

He will be checked for parasites as soon as I get him.

As for my current setup I have 2 digital therm., 2 hydrometers, basking rock/cave, another cave, cat litter pan, fake trees, etc.

I will be using coco husk and eco earth as substrate. I have a Powersun UV by ZooMed. It is a self ballasted MVB (100 watt). The temps I will try to get perfect (100-75 gradient). 12 hours on 12 hours off. Humidity will be at 60-75%. There is a large water dish that he can soak and swim in (changed daily).

I will be feeding the young one every other day. He will be getting earthworms, crickets, wax worms, butter worms, phoenix worms, super worms, meal worms, basically any bug I can get at the local pet store. He will be given fuzzies when he is big enough every week or so. Egg every month (cooked with shell). Bugs will be supplemented twice a week with Rep Cal calcium powder with NO D3. Herp vitamins every week. He will be fed outside of his enclosure in a dish.

If there is anything that I may be missing or if there is something I am doing wrong please correct me!

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I don't have a monitor in my house, they live wild around me. I can however tell you that you must never use a basking rock/cave, all reptiles burn themselves on it. I wish I could find the idiot who brought it on the market in the first place!

I'm also not so sure about only feeding him every other day, but you will definitely get all the answers you need from somebody who owns a monitor.;)

Good Luck!:)

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ahura, as Linky said, get rid of the heat rock, these can cause serious burns to the animals.... the humidity needs to be between 40 to 60%, they (babies) need feeding everyday, the insects you`ve mentioned are fine, the fuzzie mice are also o.k. but not too many, try small fish,these are easier to digest and not so "fatty" as mice, ... basking temp around 120f. is fine, ambient around 90f., night temp. between 75 to 80. The "Powersun" is not as good as the "Mega-ray", but for now, is o.k., you may need to supplement this with something like a 2-0 fluorescent tube, these give excellent illumination, but are low emmiters of UVB.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, you didn't mention the basking rock being electrical, is it just a rock, or a plug in type heat rock?

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I'm not sure the basking rock was a heat rock. or just a hide that looks like a cave that they can also climb onto to bask on top?

I could be mistaken but that is how I read it as just a hide/ledge.

If it is a heat rock throw it a way/ bust it with a hammer/ and set it on fire.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

After reading again, it does sound like a rock for climbing on....which is fine, you can also put a couple of stout, firmly fixed branches in there, most baby varanids go into trees , they feel "safer" there. Also why do you say no D3 supplement? The Powersun as I`ve mentioned, is very weak compared to natural sunlight, or can you give the animal exposure to that on a regular basis?

7. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

LOL, it is a rock that is a cave and basking site. No heat rocks here.

I can use D3 if the Powersun is not sufficient in producing UVB. I am not sure if it does or not?

I just boiled a nice big tree trunk for him to climb on.

I will feed him every day then. I will try feeder fish!

I can pretty much bring him outside everyday if it is warm. As a baby I am scared that he will make a run for it lol. Ill make a pen or something maybe a leash.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I wouldn't go overboard on the D3, maybe dust with it twice a week (3 at the most in my opinion, but, i'm no expert) because you will get some uvb from the light.

Merlin made a leash that works good, or so I've read(not much sun here in sunny Washington at the moment :p) maybe someone can post the link to it (I'm to computer illiterate to try and find it :p)

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The Powersun gives off UVB, but only very weak compared to sunlight, add the supplements 3x weekly.... Yes, if you take him/her outside, definitely inside an enclosure, but UV. rays don`t pass through normal glass or plastics, but if you can make a wire cage or something, but supply shaded areas so he can cool off..... he will get great benefit from even a few hours of sunlight a week! Fitting a leash will depend on the size of the animal, not recommended for a baby that`s only a few inches long! Keep us informed! :)

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Congrats on getting a monitor. I'm sure you will love him.
    I wish I had room for a Sav again. I miss the one I used to have like 15 years ago.

11. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Thanks for the help! I will post up pictures of the enclosure as soon as possible. I will keep you updated and will take pictures of the little dude when I get him/her. :)

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

What exactly is the size of the "baby" that you are talking about? Baby is a relative term. If it is especially teeny tiny, I would recommend that no substrate be used for a while. Simply put down some plain paper towels.
    The reason I say this is because when lizards poop they invert their anal area, called the cloaca, basically turning it inside out. The moist extruded flesh can get substrate stuck on it. and when the cloaca is drawn back in, the substrate can be drawn in with it causing irritation and possible infection.
    I happened to get my sav when she was just a few days "Out of the Shell" and this was the advice that I was given.

Cloaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Greg, if a hatchling, just use newspaper or paper towels as a substrate for a few months. Although if you`re using the larger sized bark chips, I don`t think there`ll be much problem, but always better to be safe than sorry!

14. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I am not sure how big the baby might be. I would like a younger one just so I can tame it. I'm thinking 5-8 inches? Depending on the size I can adjust the substrate.

A questions though, do I need heated water?

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ahura, 5 to 8 inches is a hatchling, easier I think to get one a few months old.... !2inches or so, just because you can feed slightly larger insects, and you will still be able to tame without any problems of serious bites/scratches to yourself, although this species is usually quite calm!
    Yes, you need to heat the water...80 to 85f. is fine, just put a small aquarium heater in a large enough plastic tray, 4 to5 inches deep is o.k. these are very economical to run.... I`m using a 250watt in my V. ornatus pool, and it only uses 35w, of electricity! ( it`s literally on permanently... no problems at all!) Don`t worry too much about the substrate either larger bark-chips or paper is fine....

16. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Ok! Is there a problem with them touching the heater? Can it cause burns?

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think a 50watt heater should be enough for what you need in the beginning, just put a flat stone or something near the heater, I`ve never had a problem with my monitor getting burned.......

18. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Alright I will figure something out :)

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated by both me and my future Varanus exanthematicus.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Any questions, just ask! I think you`ll be really pleased you got a monitor, they`re the most advanced and among the most intelligent of all reptiles! And extremely responsive to gentle handling....( I need to go to bed now,I`m up early for work!!) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.