This Disappears When Logged In

Sav Help Needed

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by vega74, Dec 12, 2010.

1. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

So I don't have any keeping experience with savannah monitors. All though I would like to own one some day. But to my point long story short a friend bought a baby about 6in long last night. For everyone that has owned them what would you recommend for diet at this age have read so many things trying to make sure he keeps the monitor healthy till I can convince him to rehome it. Because he really knows nothing about any reptile. An I have enough of my own to worry about. But just want to point him in the right direction. Any would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would give him a good swift kick in the B U double T , for not doing his research 1st. A good book on Savannah Monitors would be a great idea! I'm sure that one of the members who own Savannah Monitors will be by to give you some information one them. You friend should join the site!

Sorry I can't help, I don't have any experience and never will! You might want to check out some of the other posts that members made on them, while you're waiting for some information on them.

3. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Well I know alot about them an have spent time with babies an adults tame an nasty the only thing I am not sure of is the diet. I have all ready given home the 45 min speech an convinced him he's in over his head. An yes I also told him to spend some time reading here.Brie now I am just trying to figure out the best feeding insects an such so I know it's healthy. Who knows if I can help him through the winter I may be able to take him in the spring.

4. mld

5. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Small insects are best like small crickets. Nothing bigger than savs head for size wise. You can give it all kinds of variety. Something like 5-10 a feeding depending on the voracity of the sav's appetite.

Congrats on getting the most voracious insect feeder ever lol, not the cheapest eater. Tell your friend to start a roach colony right now. They are pretty much strictly insectivorous, pinkies are fed to adults, but only on occasion and as a supplement not a staple for the diet. Crickets, roaches, waxworms, small mealies, etc.. Avoid zoophobes or super worms for now since they can be hard on little ones' tummies. Don't prekill crickets or anything it's good enrichment and exercise for them to chase them. Make sure to dust them with a calcium supplement before feeding. Every other feeding dusting and feed babies and juvis as much as they want to eat. Feed a little of something everyday or every other day, but don't miss more than one day since it's little.

Make sure the temp gradient is really good. We had tiny baby savs that didn't make it because they are very sensitive to temperature. They also came from a horrid pet store and I'm sure that was part of it.

Temp wise, don't let basking area get over low 100 temp for basking because small savannas cannot tolerate high temperatures and can easily be overheated and die. Basking area about 100, cool side of tank 78, ambient temp 80-90, humidity of 70%! That is right, 79%, learn to love misting. Our savs actually love when we mist they come out and stick their faces in it.

Reading wise,

The Savanna Monitor Lizard

Pro Exotics :: Reptile...

This is the best savannah monitor book out there. Written by biologist that work in the field in the wild with savannas and also raise and breed their own naturally. We got ours from proexotics.com and it has been invaluable.

A 6 inch long savannah may not look like it needs much space but it will to get those temp gradients it needs. What is the setup like? I have 2 that are about 10 inches and they are in a 55 gallon long plastic tote container filled halfway with playsand/topsoil mix and have a heat lamp on one side with a retes stack basking area. It's large enough to provide the perfect temp gradient for mine. Savs Looooove to dig, it's good for their mental well-being.

Hope this helps. Give your friend a chance, sometimes impulse buys turn into a lifelong passion and love for a species of animal. As long as he/ she learns his/her stuff and takes proper care of the monitor I think it should be a good learning experience. If they choose not to manage the monitor properly then rehoming it would be a good idea but let them see if this is something they want to care for. But never at the expense of the animal. Make sure you throw all kinds of knowledge out there and help them set it up correctly so it doesn't die a slow miserable death.

6. mld

This book is on the sites book link! and can be bought there, and it helps the site if purchased from the sites link.
    If you have read this book you should go to the sites book link and write a review on it. I don't think anyone has written a review on it yet!
    http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-b...d-the-truth-about-varanus-exanthematicus-109/

7. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Ah jiminies if I knew that I would've bought it there. It's the best well written book on care for varanids I've seen.

8. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Well thanks for the information everyone gonna get him to start reading

9. Makeda

Makeda Active Member

Erwynn pretty much has it down, the only other thing i would suggest is some worms, would cut up earthworms to a size he could handle eating and shelled fish, as a baby i recommend krill in small amounts and small snails... most pet stores have a infestation of them and will readily catch and give you them free. the most important thing to remember in feeding i would say is variety.

10. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Basking spots should be measured with temp guns, 120/130 in the right habitat will help your captive thrive, wrong setup & you'll turn your tank into a dehydration tank!
    good luck!! :) ( & you don't need a 155f basking spot:) )
    PictureorVideo017.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Max713

Max713 Elite Member

I hope he's ready for a LOT of time and patience, as you can probably tell from the above posts, sav's require an immense amount of work, not to mention the minimum of an 8'x4'x4' adult enclosure with 18" of substrate, which will weigh over a 2000 pounds!!!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Butterbean do you have any idea as to what you are talking about? Your own posts are full of discrepencies!
    From an earlier thread