This Disappears When Logged In

Sav Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by methos75, Jan 26, 2012.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

So I found a source for new big and fresh Gulf Shrimp and bought a few pounds for my Sav and I was wondering what is an appropriate serving of them. They are between 6-7 inches long, and he is a little less than a year old and around 33 inches long

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Give him a few with his other food items. For example, you can give him two and then as many worms, crickets, or roaches as he wants.

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Are they packaged shrimp, or fresh?

4. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Fresh, unpeeled whole shrimp. A little seafood place opened here and I can get two pounds for $4, which basically about 50 shrimp. They also have live crawfish and fresh water Crabs, which I'll get later this week for him to see if he likes them. His diet has been a little **** lately since the summer when I moved across country back to Louisiana, and I haven't found any sources for the Dubias he was getting, he has mostly had crickets, earthworms, mice and quail chicks the last few months with chicken Livers every few weeks, all bad I know

5. BarelyBreathing

Earth worms aren't entirely bad, and crickets are just fine. See if you can order a starter roach colony online and begin breeding your own.

6. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I wish I had those options available here.. you are lucky.

7. BarelyBreathing

Try an Asian market, Wayne!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Chicken livers aren`t too good, but the rest is fine, why do you say bad? Less than 12 months old and 33inches is very good growth, can you put a few pics up of the monitor, and details of how you keep him/her? Thanks!

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

The price I pay for living in a vast wilderness of nothing... nearest Asian market, 2-4 hours drive time one way.

I may as well live in the upper Yukon territory when it comes to something like that.

10. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

haha come to canada its sweet here :)

11. BarelyBreathing

The nearest Asian market I have is two hours away. I still go once a week (I love their seafood, both for my lizards and myself).

12. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I will locate the closest one and take an ice chest with me.

That way I can hoard a months or more worth of snails and crabs at once.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wayne, if you feed seafood, wash as much of the excess salt off as possible before using.

14. BarelyBreathing

Yeah, what he said ^

15. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Yes, or you get "salty nostrils"

Been there, done that. ;)

Monitors expel the salt through their nose, but salt also sucks out precious moisture from within.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Not all species have the salt secreting glands.