This Disappears When Logged In

Sav Enclosure Photos

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Ahura, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Enjoy! Feel free to comment if anything needs to be changed.

Attached Files:

2. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

Looks good to me.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Looks good for a start. I trust you know you'll need a bigger one?

4. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Oh yea lol. That is a 75 gallon. He is only about 6-8 inches.

5. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

There are a few changes I would make. First what size tank is that it looks a little small I would not use anything smaller than a 55 gallon so you can get proper temp ranges 90 on hot side 75 cool side.Second is the screen top get it covered because you are letting out all the heat and humidity I use a piece of ply wood to completely cover my tank if you can't use wood use aluminum foil and cut out holes for the light fixture. Third what are you using for substrate I would use dirt mixed with play sand Savannah's like to dig and the dirt sand mix hold brows and humidity your savanna will thank you for it

Greg

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It doesn't look like 75 gallons. Take a measure, and type the numbers into our gallon converter. I'd put that at 30 or less.

7. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I measured it. It is four feet long two feet wide and 2 feet tall. Is that not close to 75 gallons? I am using a eco earth coco husk mixture.

As for the heat it is 90-75 ambient hot to cold, and 100-105 basking site. Humidity is around 40-70%. I mist usually three times a day. These are with my screen top.

8. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

The tank looks to be about a 40 gallon to me. With the screen top you are letting out all the heat and humidity. Warm air rises and you are probably using something like a 125 watt light bulb right You said you are misting 3 times a day the reason you are doing that is the heat from your bulbs are drying out your tank and it is all rising out though your screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how I keep my baby monitor I use 45 watt halogen flood bulbs and with these bulbs I get a basking spot of over 120 hot side is 95 cool side 75-80 my humidity is 80-85 and I only mist once a week and I dont even need to do that
    How are you reading the basking temps.when I say 120 I mean surface temps if your getting it with a thermometer it wont be accurate you'll need a temp gun look at proexotics they have a good selection

greg

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What long term plans do you have for housing your sav?

I know this part is off topic, but it might help with sizing. The picture below is a 46 gallon aquarium.
    [​IMG]

10. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I told you the measurements. The tank may appear to be smaller in the photo... As for the screen top I might cover it with aluminum foil. I have a temp gun and that is how I am getting the basking temp. Ambient temp is measured with a thermometer. I am using a 100W MVB, 150 Tight Beam, 100 Neodymium Bulb.

11. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Long term I will be building a 6'X3'X2' custom enclosure. It can be bigger but that will be minimum.

How many inches away is your bulb from the basking site? Mine is about a foot.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

4x2x2 comes out to 119.69 on the gallon converter. I agree that you should cover the screen, I use a double layer of tin foil to cover the screen.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ahura, the tank looks great, the size is fine, at least for the next year or so... the temps. are fine, but you could increase the basking area to around 120f., you can use a normal household bulb, maybe a 40watt will be o.k., as I mentioned before, let him settle in a few days, then start gentle handling.... Humidity around 40 to 60 %, Good luck!

14. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I'm currently in the process of covering my screen with foil. I will leave some open areas for ventilation. The basking site is around 105-110. It has potential to reach up to 120. I don't want to shoot for 120 because I want some wiggle room just in case the ambient temp in my room increases.

My night time temps seem low but it might be fixed if I cover my screen. It is around 68-72 throughout. Is this too low?

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Ahura, you don`t need to cover the screen top if the humidity is around 40 to 60 %, you can always spray a couple of times a day. Do you have a hygrometer in place? (temp. and humidity), although covering will raise the temps somewhat...... I would look for around 75f. at night, can you tell me what bulb you use during the night? (wattage)

16. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

The 120 basking site that is surface temps. I don't know where you live but if you go outside on a warm summer day, lets say 85-90, take your temp gun out and start checking things. You will be amazed at how hot it really is. Now imagine that in africa.

Greg

17. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Yea 110 is the surface temp of the basking rock. I know that the air temp is different because objects tend to absorb heat. The screen is covered and I do have a hydrometer in place. I actually have 2. One on the hot side one on the cool side. I am currently not using a bulb at night. Would infrared work? Or do I need a ceramic heat emitter?

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, infra-red is fine.... I use these most of the time...The ammount of light they emit is very low, so no problem!

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks for sharing your tank, just one problem, where is your Sav!:D Would have loved to have seen him too.

20. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

In your first pic, You had 3 different lamps going. What bulbs do you have in those lamps? It seemed as if the entire thing was covered by at least one lamp.
    There should be a cool down area. You want a broad spectrum of temps to provide thermoregulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.