This Disappears When Logged In

Sarahs Bloated!!!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by awall3202, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    she ate all her food, and i also put an amarylis from my moms yard in there. i read up on them and the bulb itself is poisonous but not the flower unless eaten in very large quantities but other wise is supposed to be good for the body, she only took about two bites, but now shes really bloated. i attached some pictures ( i hope it worked, its my first time) but they're in my album if not. is there anything i can do? she seems fine we had her out for a lil bit so i could take the pics and shes moving as fast as she always does.





    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Dragonflies

    Dragonflies Banned User

    List that I've looked at have it as being dangerous for reptiles.

    Where did you get your information? Just because something is ok for humans, doesn't mean it is ok for animals.

    You deduced yourself that it is toxic in quantity (I assume that's for humans). Why take the risk? That seems plain silly to me.

    I suggest you look for an emergency vet, and see what they have to say. You might be lucky, as she seems ok at the moment, bit you never know.
     
  3. missabrat

    missabrat Elite Member

    Hi, sorry I cannot help, I don't know much about these guys!
    Sarah is a pretty girl!
    Can you give a run down on how your keeping her, I am sure someone will be along that has knowledge on these guys and any info regarding temps, substrate, and an over all idea of her cage set up will help them to help you and Sarah.
    Oh, was there any use of pesticides, or things like Miracle grow used in or around the area where you got the plants?
     
  4. Dragonflies

    Dragonflies Banned User

    I've looked at about ten lists, all of them say that bulb, stem and flower is toxic to reptiles.
    The toxin is an alkaloid, alkaloids are usually the worst kind of poisons. This particular alkaloid affects the gastrointestinal tract in reptiles.
     
  5. Rich

    Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Why would you feed your pet something KNOWN to be poisonous? That should have thrown up all sorts of red flags!

    You asked if there was anything you could do for the bloating, I would start by not feeding anything that is known to be poisonous, in any quantity.

    If the bloating hasn't subsided within 24 hours or you notice a change in behavior, see a vet immediately.

    One more thing, don't feed anything known to be poisonous, in any quantity.
     
  6. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    i'm not good with computers and typed in "is the amarylis poisonous to animals/reptiles." nothing was used on or near the plants, i asked my mom that before i took one. it was also on the list the vet gave me that can be fed in small quantities. i'm gonna look for a new vet though. he isnt very friendly. thats what i'm looking for now. im gonna take her in if the bloating isnt down in the morning, i'm jus gonna avoid flowers all together from now on and stick with the greens. the only ones i know she can eat are little white ones from my yard, theyre actually weeds but shes eaten them before and was fine, but summers coming now so i won't get anymore of those til next year.
     
  7. Dragonflies

    Dragonflies Banned User

    Easy one for you to grow, you can feed leaves and flowers - Nasturtium.

    And they love dandelion flowers.


    Just make sure they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides or herbicides. Put another way, ORGANIC
     
  8. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    i might have to try that but first i have to get thru this,and find a new vet
     
  9. mld

    mld Subscribed User Premium Member

  10. kriminaal

    kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

    Are the flowers and plants around your house treated with anything? Also if the grass is treated some can also hit any plants in the area.
     
  11. Rich

    Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    I want to point something out for anyone else who reads this thread. This may help put things into perspective a bit.

    Whatever awall looked at said the flower was only poisonous in large quantities. What warrants "large quantities" in a small reptile?
     
  12. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Indeed! And as far as I am concerned, something is either poisonous or it isn't.
    And if it is poisonous at all,...
    DON'T USE IT!
     
  13. gapeachkatie

    gapeachkatie Elite Member

    I have to add in that if any flower/plant has the slightest bit of toxic to humans, is generally more toxic to animals(more likely deadly).

    Best of luck with Sarah, and please be aware of all the dangers associated with feeding your animal anything grown outside. Even if you do not use any fertilizers on the plants, anything one the grass or in the neighbor's yards can/most likely will get into the plants.
     
  14. Spyral

    Spyral Elite Member

    I really hope Sarah is ok! If she's acting funny in any way, you should take her to a vet!

    Bulbs of any kind are generally toxic/poisonous and should be avoided.

    Good luck Sarah!
     
  15. teach920

    teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

    Oh goodness...I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the amount ingested was minimal and Sara will be ok.. I am also hoping you have indeed found a new vet....ANY vet who would suggest feeding a toxic plant to a reptile,..(or ANY animal for that matter) needs to be avoided, and reported.

    Again, hoping that Sarah will be okay.
     
  16. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    sarah is doing good, found a new vet said she was fine that it will pass in its own. did a stool sample and he said it was fine, no parasites. she is still a lil bloated but not as much, but eating all her food still. i'm jus goin to leave flowers alone. my yard is not treated with anything and hasn't been in two years but never thought about neighbors treating theirs . i'm jus goin to leave everything outside alone and stick with the greens from the grocery store.
     
  17. Dragonflies

    Dragonflies Banned User

    In this case, it had nothing to do with what may or may not have been sprayed on the plant, it had everything to do with you feeding your Uro a plant that you knew was toxic.

    Why deprive your Uro of a varied diet? The information is readily available, I gave two plants that are safe, one of which is the dandelion of which you're probably already feeding the leaves, the flower is like candy to most Uros. Someone else also provided a link that contains a list of edible goodies.
     
  18. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    i am feeding the leaves but the flowers dont grow in my yard. ive seen some on the islands of strip centers but don't know if they treat them with anything and neither do any of the store owners because its a lawn company that takes care of them. i've tried looking for seeds to plant them but since they're a weed no one sells seeds for them that i've found. i've tried giving here apple and apple skins and she'll eat everything but that.
     
  19. awall3202

    awall3202 Elite Member

    i read it and am in the process of buying the seeds to grow the holleyhock myself.i worry about buying ones that are already blooming from a garden store in case they treat them. i have a hibiscus but it died in the freeze and it usually comes back so i'm waiting to see if it will this year or not so i can replace it if it doesnt.
     
  20. mld

    mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Share This Page