This Disappears When Logged In

Sand Boa Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Jaws9673, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Jaws9673

Jaws9673 Member

I got 2 baby kenyan sand boas on January 4 and have tried to feed them more times than I can count. They absolutely refuse mice even though when I bought them from LLLreptile they said they were eating f/t pinkies. I have tried every way to feed them but they refuse force feeding, cutting the mouse to release brain juice and putting them alone with the mouse in a dark paper bag for a hour. Is there anything I can do?

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Hi, congrats on the new babies. How are you keeping them? If you could give us a run down of your set up and what your temps and humidity are that would help. Also, new snakes need about a week of being left alone to destress and settle in. I know its been way longer but they are still new and may just be stressed. How often are you attempting to feed?

3. Jaws9673

Jaws9673 Member

They are in a plastic tub around 8 inches longer than their length and the width is the same. They have about a foot or so of sand mixed with dirt and have a heat pad underneath. They have a hide and a water bowl . I try to feed them 1 every week to see if they will eat normally i wiggle the mouse in front of them or I put it in a dark bag and leave it with them for an hour before seeing if it was eaten. They never hiss,puff up, or bite. They have sheeded. They are not losing or gaining weight. I'm stumped.

4. I've had the same issue with my young sand boa. I tried to force feed him once but he wasn't having it. Make sure before you feed that you don't handle them too much. It's important to make your snakes feel safe and secure so they will eat. If necessary, leave one in the enclosure where it will most likely feel safest and try feeding. You can try scenting the mouse with tuna or chicken/beef broth to make it more interesting. Hope this helps.