This Disappears When Logged In

Sand Boa Hasn't Eat F/T Yet...

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by frozflame, Aug 22, 2012.

1. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a new young, male sand boa from a breeder. The breeder assured me he had been taking f/t pinkies. I know it is not uncommon for sand boas to go thru fasting periods. I've offered him food three times now. The first time he wasn't even interested. The second time he seemed interested, he nosed at the mouse, and he thoroughly inspected it. But no biting, no striking. This time I tried braining it, and he showed the same amount of interest, but again did not eat.

Some other notes:
    -All times I have been putting him in a feeding tub
    -He has shed since I got him (about three weeks ago)

And suggestions? I am about to try live food to see if he will take it. Or perhaps feeding him in his set up, but I would prefer not too. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What are your basking temps on the floor of the hot side?
    How are you measuring the temperatures?

3. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

It stays constantly in the 90s... usually around 94F, its an infrared heat bulb in the lamp and there is a small heat pad under the tank. I use a digital probe down into the substrate.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

How are you offering it? How long do you leave it with him? How warm is it?
    I have one baby cornsnake who needs to be in his small 500ml deli overnight with his f/t pinky to get him to eat it.

5. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

I warm it up under the heat lamp for a little bit before I put it in the feeding tub. I tried braining it today which had an effect, but no feeding response. As for the actual temp I warm the pinkie to I couldn't tell you. I've left him in with one over several hours, but that was the first one. Since then it's twenty minutes at the most. I've thought about leaving it in his tank over night, but haven't tried that yet. I'm afraid of him ingesting substrate (which is aspen), and I'm worried that if I leave him in the feeding tub overnight he'll become stressed because he can't burrow.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Only way I was able to get new borns to accept F/T pinks was thawing them in a sandwich bag placed in 100F water. Than placing the pinky in the a room temp coffee mug/1lb tub with lid, along with the picky eater. This worked for most of my picky ones (usually male) but soon I moved to live and never had worse responces.

Thawing to 100f as fast as posable and ALL THE WAY THAWED is the trick, snakes really like warm food not room temp, most of the time... all that goes out the door when dealing with male Kenyans :p

7. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

I tried the hot water thawing with braining. He seemed even more interested, but would not strike. I also tried leaving it with him over night and nothing.
    Do you mean the feeding response to live was good or bad?

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Better than F/T but a problem feeder/picky eater is always a pain. I had more success with live over F/T in any format. Thats why I abandoned using F/T over prekill adults and live pinks.