This Disappears When Logged In

Sambava Panther 2-2.5months (Female/Male?)

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by e9e9e, Sep 3, 2013.

1. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

Hiya everyone,

Not super worried or concerned just curious. Either sex is fine with me I see them both with pros and cons and will enjoy either equally. I have read some information on some sites where keepers/breeders can sex a Panther hatchling with a high accuracy rate. I know my Panther is not a hatchling but fairly young. A few quick things about who I suspect to be a her (entirely opinion). I have had her exactly 1 week, she has eats everyday so far, she drinks regularly from obviously leaves and such, she gets an average of 3 hours of natural sunlight a day right now. I do use a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB 9hrs a day (in addition to the 3 hours natural sun) also a basking area around 85+ degrees. The aluminum screened habitat is about 36" high w/ lighting at the top. And humidity stays between 55-70% right now. I weld pressure vessels till late night and sleep mainly days so I can be up 8-11am ish perfect time for some sun before my cat nap. I have a manual pump style mister I mist right before she goes back in her home, she has a "free range" area also (small area, has shade natural light feeder cup) I do mist this area 7:30-8am ish also. I mist again at 3pm before I leave for work. I run about a four hour drip from 11am till 3pm. Her home I made see attached. Feeding on mainly dry gut load and carrot/greens, loaded crickets. Oh and the Fluckers gut load aslo. I ordered some silk worms and mantids. I have been reading about wild caught insects I have a large state reservoir near by. But that option is only seasonal as I currently live in Colorado. I do plan on adding a pothos around 18-20 inches to start, but right now there are two small live plants that she likes to sleep in. I don't honestly know what they are, they are tropical and I bought them from a local pet store. They were labeled as reptile safe tropical plants. (I know Scorn me!) I did not put them in till yesterday I watered them (Flooded them) in the sink for few days, anyone recognise them?
    IMG_20130903_100618_798.jpg IMG_20130903_103007_740.jpg IMG_20130903_102933_354.jpg IMG_20130902_155443_415.jpg IMG_20130902_135444_437.jpg IMG_20130902_113949.jpg IMG_20130902_111840_436.jpg IMG_20130902_111826_968-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know much about Chameleons but Panthers are definitely beautiful.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The plant with the trunks appears to be a dieffenbachia (or "dumbcane") The sap is toxic.
    The one in the other corner looks to be a dracaena species commonly referred to as a "corn plant". Though it has nothing to do with corn. And it is considered non toxic.
    The most commonly used plants in chameleon cages are ficus trees, umbrella (Schefflera) plants), and pothos. Some also use hibiscus plants but they are a bit more touchy about light intensity.

4. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

Thank you removed!

5. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

Actually the plant isn't dieffenbachia but I have it in the kitchen til I know what it is. Going with a Pothos in the middle. Typically for replies.

6. Merlin

There are different varieties of dieffenbachia. The only other plant I know of that it could be is a Chinese evergreen. If you give me a good photo of the leaves I can tell you.

7. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

OK I will when I get home thanks! =)

8. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

Hey Merlin here is a better picture of the leaves they do have the patterns like the dieffenbachia I saw but thinner and darker. What do you think. IMG_20130905_091123_523.jpg

9. Merlin

Ok that helps. It is a Chinese evergreen, Aglaonema species. But it too is toxic so leave it out.

10. e9e9e

e9e9e Member

You rock thanks! Eric

11. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Love the Chameleon!!