This Disappears When Logged In

Salmonella?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Blitz, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

Salmonella is said to be naturally carried by most reptiles. I used to have a turtle, but I washed my hands thoroughly after handling her, and never contracted the sickness, but I'm just curious, have any of you ever actually contracted salmonella from your reptiles?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I haven't but I do know someone that did. It was the sickest she has ever been. But simple hygiene would have prevented it.

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I have 2 3year-olds and an 8 year-old. They handle our Leos, they wash before and after, just as I do when handling, feeding and cleaning. I also take care to wash between pets (I don't feed the Golden then handle food for the Leos until I have washed). Taking precautions is the key. I once read that you shouldn't kiss your reptiles, "...it isn't safe and they aren't impressed by the affection anyway..." funny and true!

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

all animals have salmonella I believe even humans do? herps get a bad name for it because so many don't keep it clean enough and they touch their own poo. more than other animals, but you may not know that they did, unlike a dog stepping in dog poo or something.

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I had not heard that before. That is good to know. Interesting too. I would like to find out more about that....I'm thinking potential Thesis....? :confused: hmmm.... I'm a Bio major and have my thesis coming up soon...I am horrible at coming up with original research ideas and most of the research currently being done @ my school is not super interesting. Maybe I can do something with salmonella levels in various animals and it's effects and transmission to humans....which would tie in nicely with Medicine for Med School interviews.... ;)

Thanks Kendalle!!!! :D

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have never gotten Salmonella from any of the reptiles I have ever taken in. But, again I am germ freak! My house usually has the all so pleasant aroma of BLEACH, and some candle trying to cover the smell of the bleach, lol.

It is all about hygiene. Always wash, wash and wash more. I am also a fan of the Germ X after I wash. It gets under the nails nicely and makes those iguana gouges in your hands and arms burn like crazy, lol.

7. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

yeah, I was about to ask if instant hand sanitizer, like "Germ X" for example, kills salmonella...it most likely does.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I just use the walgreen's instant hand sanitizer. Works well and it's cheap :p

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You can buy gallon jugs of it at sams club pretty cheap not bad for having in a reptile room! just get a pump to put on top of it and pump a way.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I have heard reptiles use salmonela to digest their food. We also have organisms in our stomachs that break down our food so it can be absorbed on a molecular basis but it is not salmonella.
    It's the same though that is in that yogurt stuff. Danactive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.