This Disappears When Logged In

Salamander Not Doing So Well

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by KylalaKitty, Sep 23, 2015.

1. KylalaKitty

KylalaKitty Member

So since June my tiger salamander hasn't really been eatting (and has stopped the past month) and seems fatigued. Also she has been breathing funny, like regular breathes but every third one its like a super inhalation I'm guessing because her throat inflates. Now she maybe bloated. Help! Anyone have any ideas whats wrong? I'm 5 hours from the nearest herp vet.

2. KylalaKitty

KylalaKitty Member

actually we dont know its gender, we think its a girl

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Can you give a rundown of the setup? Temps, humidity, cage decor, and if your using stick on thermometers or infrared, etc. It will help knowing the information.

4. KylalaKitty

KylalaKitty Member

50 humidy, temp around 65 degrees Fahrenheit, half coco fiber and outside dirt thats been baked and its kept mosit not really wet. Her tank is in a big container full of water and ice packs to keep her cool, otherwise she is mid 70s. She has one piece of bark she hides under. She never uses her soaking bowel which is just a tupperware container. Unsure on the thermometer, its attached to a wire and the wire does the readings.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Why is the cage in ice water? Just curious. Room temperature is usually fine as long as the temps dont go above mid 70s. It may be too cold on the cage floor or something along those lines.

What type of water are you using for her bowl and to spray? I know that salamanders cannot usually tolerate 'tap' water very well.

What size is the tank? I know usually they require at least a 20 gallon tank.

I am trying to come up with ideas until someone who knows a lot more about these guys replies.

6. KylalaKitty

KylalaKitty Member

We run our apartment kinda warm because we the bill is too high otherwise and Sally's tank gets up to the high 70s to low 80s otherwise. We use tap water but add a chemical to it to make it amphibian safe (we also have 3 toads and use that too for their soaking bowels) The tank is 10 gallons. She was in a 20 but we cant cool down the 20 gallon. She actually digs to get close to the cool floor. The ONLY thing that has changed is that we moved to a different city with a slightly warmer apartment and to a place with city water. We had well water before. She was fine before we moved.