This Disappears When Logged In

Safely Sealing Wood for High Humidity and Temps

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SavyChino, May 24, 2014.

1. SavyChino

SavyChino New Member

I have seen forums just like this one but they never actually have any solid answers. My uncle is great with carpentry and things and he has wood so he helped me build a cage for my Savannah Monitor. He used some sealant on the inside "flexseal" it just seams toxic to me and I cant find a a solid review on it so if anyone has used it let me know. But that is not really my question. I'm most likely building a new enclosure with safe sealant on the wood. It needs to be able to handle high temps and humidity. I've thought of using polyacrylic which is a water based hard seal. I have read however that contains bad chemicals. Any feedback on it? If anyone knows of something to keep the wood from rotting and leaking, letting me know would be greatly appreciated.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's news to me. Polycrylic has been used and recommended for years.
    There are also some other materials that monitor keepers are using to protect wood under the soil level.

3. SavyChino

SavyChino New Member

That doesn't mean its true, I just read it's not good for humidity on a reptile forum but most people do not actually know what they are talking about. I'm gonna go ahead and use the polycrylic because I feel a lot of people have used it no problem so thank you for reassuring me on it, appreciate the feedback.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They all contain bad chemicals. Even water-based has to create a reaction for it to cure.
    But once cured they are safe for reptiles. You don't want to use it on a water-feature though as there's more potential for chemicals leeching into the water.

5. SavyChino

SavyChino New Member

Okay ill use polycrylic for the humidity but is there something I should seal the corners and cracks with where the acrylic might not hold up?

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, use aquarium safe 100 percent silicone.

7. Dbld420

Dbld420 Active Member

Can someone give me a good wood to use?