This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Materials For Snake Hide?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by AlltheSneks, Jul 2, 2018.

1. AlltheSneks

AlltheSneks New Member

So I have this faux branch/tree type thing for snakes. My older snake is much too big for it now, as he's over five feet long (corn). I used that same branch thing when I had just gotten him, like ten years ago. When I used it for him, he got stuck in it, as it has an open base rather than it being closed off. There are small tubes going through the whole thing. About two weeks ago I got a new corn snake, who is now about 4 weeks old (she's the one in my profile picture). She's seemed bored and really loves climbing around when I take her out. I introduced her to the tree, but she got "stuck" too. I'm sure she could have easily gotten herself out, but as she gets bigger, she won't. I had to poke her through one of the tubes to get her to get out of there. I was wondering if anyone knows a safe material I could use to plug the base of the thing so she won't get stuck. Supposedly modeling/air-dry clay works but won't if I have a heat pad/lamp, which I definitely do during winter. Help appreciated. I'd like to be able to keep her entertained.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You could fill the narrow tubes with spray foam or just crumpled paper, then use a little 2-part epoxy to fill the ends. That's what I did for a hide that was hollow cast resin, and had an interior piece get broken off.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Jamming a piece of cork inside will also work, that's what I do to keep my day gecko out of bamboo tubes that are too small.